sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

On my 2004 pt the cooling/condenser fan will only come on

Customer Question

On my 2004 pt the cooling/condenser fan will only come on when engine is running, is that the way it works
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan stops working and the ac quits at times and then comes back on, seems like something is getting hot and shutting off.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** the condensor fan will only come on when the high side pressure in the ac system reaches a certain pressure, and will not come on without the engine running,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just "jump" the high pressure switch to check system?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

you need a scanner to command the fan on, have you had a set of gauges on it, to read the high side pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the fan stops and the compressor still on pressure spikes. even blew relief on compressor once, but most of the time fan and compressor clutch looses power at the same time.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

are you getting power to the fan, when it stops?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it looses power there is no power in that circuit, not a matter of pcm shutting off ground to relays
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no voltage in circuit for fans or compressor. and then after an hour or so the power comes back and everything works until it seems to get hot or something
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

This is going to tke alot of time to trace out, and I go off line in a few minutes, I will open this back up to other eperts and see if one of them can help you, hang tight,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also I noticed the wires to the fan are hot enough you can't touch them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but because the fuse did not blow I thought it was resistance in the connector at fan module. I changed the female connector hoping this would correct the heat in the wires but they still get very hot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim don't leave me hanging.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?