Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

My wife has an 04 PT with out turbo. it has 87K miles. She

Customer Question
has a lead foot and...
My wife has an 04 PT with out turbo. it has 87K miles. She has a lead foot and it normally gets about 20 mpg when she drives it. Last fill up it got 18. It starts and runs fine. Early in the spring it would not turn over in a mall parking lot. I jumped it and got it home. the alternator was working fine. I got to the battery and the terminals were not clean. I took the connections apart and cleaned it with baking soda and water. I then coated the terminals with electrical grease. Everything was good until now (at least 5 months). Now I am getting a P0340 code on the computer. I was doing some research and some people had engine stalling and hard starting with this problem. This engine starts and runs well cold and warm up to 5k rpm with no spiting sputtering or stalling. It will reach 70 in about a 1/4 mile. any suggestions
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: the check engine light comes on soon after clearing the code. but engine runs fine...
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 03 or 04 I will check it now
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: date of manufacture is 10-02 so it is an 03 mocel.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will bring it to a shop but want to know more about what the problem is likely to be so I can judge if I am being treated fairly.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That is all the info I can give at present.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
7/26/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the 340 code is a cam sensor code. could either be a bad sensor, wiring issue or you may have a worn timing belt. with 87k and driving hard, it may be worn out and need to be replaced and that would explain the lowering of the fuel mileage as well.

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Roy

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician