Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My trans dose not shift or Wil not display the Manuel gear…

Customer Question
My trans dose not shift...
My trans dose not shift or Wil not display the Manuel gear nu mbers at times but if u turn the motor of and start back up it will. It also will not shift out of 4th or5 th gear at that time. It seams to be electrical if I turn it off it corrects the problem. What could this be
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
7/23/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The trans is in limp in for some reason. It's possible that the trans controller could be down but it's more likely the the TCM has seen a failure in the system and is preventing shifting.

There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from pressure switches, solenoids, wiring, internal trans issues, the TIPM, and the powertrain control module (which houses the TCM).

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what codes are setting?