Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

The trunk is stuck open and will not close after trying

Customer Question
close convertible top. The...
the trunk is stuck open and will not close after trying close convertible top. The top has closed but the trunk is stuck
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: not at all, the car starts with no problems
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I tried to open the top again, the roof only went partially up and stayed that way, so I pushed the button to close. the top closes and locks in place and the trunk start to close and then gets stick
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only that when I tried to re-open the convertible, the roof only went partially up and then I tried to reclose as I stated above
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
7/17/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

the rear trunk lock actuator motor is weak and not latching the trunk all the way , that is why it is not closing and also the top will stop 1/2 way since at that point it needs a signal from top control module telling it the trunk is closed and the trunk is not so it will stop .

what is the mileage on the car ?

Please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
71,800

what make model , i can look up the part for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2008 Chrysler Sebring....I thought you had this information already
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there something I can do to just get the trunk to close.....can't drive anywhere to get a part with the trunk open
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what does this mean

you can take the actuator motor off for now and reset the latch manual with a screw driver so when the trunk lid closes it will lock

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks, I'll try that

ok cool let me know , good luck :)

Thanks

Chad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you do realize that the trunk is stuck in the open position trying to close from the convertible top operation and not the regular way. There is no way I can get in the trunk to disconnect this.

you will have to disassemble back seat to get to it.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics