Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Just started running rough, fans running constantly and

Customer Question
light black smoke coming out...
just started running rough, fans running constantly and light black smoke coming out muffler on 2003 town and country van
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your MPG been lately?
Customer: 108,000 average
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: was running fine before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
7/1/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on? Is vehicle overheating? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Check engine light is on because of gas cap. No it is not over heating. The temp gadgets isn't working since it started running rough and cooling fans are running constantly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery light comes on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Starts right up tho.

Ok, this would most likely mean the engine coolant temp sensor has failed. When sensor fails it causes vehicle to run rich "too much fuel" which is why you are seeing smoke. What engine do you have? I can give you replacement instructions. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2003 Chrysler Town and Country

Do you have the 3.3 or 3.8 engine? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3.3 I think

Here is a picture of the ECT sensor, replace that and let me know if you run into problems. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ppp9h8u8oenhig/ect.PNG?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I still drive the car before I get it replaced? This is a holiday weekend with no way to get it fixed until next week

Yes, it won't get any worse then it is. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Thanks very much. Have a great 4th of July weekend

Thanks, ***** ***** Make sure to let me know how it turns out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Thanks, ttyl.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed ect sensor and intake sensor. Still running rough and barely moves

Temp gauge working yet or check engine light on yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No temp gauge not working and engine light still on. Battery light is still on

Have you checked diagnostic codes yet? If not you can turn key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds and it should be displayed on odometer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not yet

Check codes and let me know what they are. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok have to be tomorrow

No problem, I'll talk to you then. Have a good night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ty U2

Thanks, ttyl.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ty TTYL

Ok, I need to be last to reply in meantime too. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I checked the diagnostic codes.
P 1684, P 0122, P 0118, P 0108, P 0204, P 1478 and P 1496

P1644 means battery has been disconnected, P0122 is related to throttle position sensor, P0108 is for map sensor, P0118 is for coolant temp sensor, P0204 is for cylinder 4 injector, P1478 is for battery temp sensor, and P1495 means 5v reference is too low. It sounds like a wiring issue, check the wiring harness from the injectors to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The insulation melts off the wires on the wires in the harness near the exhaust crossover. The wires need to be removed from the harness to check every injector control circuit. Also check the sub-injector wiring harness under the intake plenum for damage. Also make sure to check wiring going to map sensor. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Thanks Have a Happy 4th of July

Thanks, ***** *****!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By the way it was 1684 not 1644

That was a typo on my part, I meant to say 1684. Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ty

Let me know if you run into more questions or how it turns out. I need to be last to reply or it shows someone is waiting for me. Have a good night.

Dan, Technician