Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

I am trying to figure out how to change the rack and pinion

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out how to change the rack and pinion bushings on my 91 chrysler new yorker and the repair manuals are not clear enough how to change them.
JA: What year is your New Yorker?
Customer: 1991
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fix myself and I have followed a basic repair manual and still am clueless. I am needing to know where to place the jack under it securely and what bolts to take out and drop it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not for the moment.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I much prefer a video showing me where to place the jack on the front cross member and what bolts to remove, but pics or something of that sort will help too.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you take a pic of the actual parts that you want to install on your vehicle? If I know exactly what you are replacing, I will give you the necessary info to get the parts successfully installed..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You can find them at http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/moog-rack-and-pinion-mounting-bushing-kit-k7112/20516535-P?searchTerm=rack+%26+pinion+bushings I am not understanding the repair manual when it says to place the jack under the front crossmember. My concern is where to stick the jack to be exact and what bolts to remove in order to lower the part needed to replace the bushings. I need a video or some pics showing me where the jack should be placed. I want to actually see the jack in position so I know where I must put it.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry for the delayed response, been trying to find your requested info. Was not able to find a video for you. I see that you want to replace the rack and pinion mounting bushings. Unfortunately, there is not much info available for this exact repair. I did find the procedure from the service manual but it is not explaining the procedure in a good enough detailed procedure. --->> Click Here to view <<---

Basically, this is somewhat of a hard procedure for the first time do it yourselfer. This procedure involved dropping the suspension crossmember for access to remove the mounting bolts for the rack and pinion. If you are willing to do this, I can help step you through the process. I do have a 1991 Dodge Dynasty (basically the same as a Chrysler New Yorker) so I may be able to take a few pics for you to explain the process if you happen to get stuck.

Basically, you will lift the front of the vehicle a couple feet off the ground. You will place the jack in the center of the front of the vehicle below the radiator area. There is a motor mount on the radiator support that is plenty strong enough to lift the vehicle from. Just place the jack directly on this motor mount bracket that is bolted to the radiator support and raise the vehicle. Get a couple Jack stands and place them on the unibody frame area just inwards of the driver and passenger front rocker panels. This will support the vehicle safely while you are under there.

After that, you will loosen the front crossmember and let it hang a bit so that you can access the rack mounting bolts. remove the bolts (4) then remove the brackets. You should be able to raise the rack and pinion slightly to remove the rubber insulators, Install the new insulators and existing brackets and resecure the rack to the suspension crossmember.

Reinstall the crossmember and secure the 4 mounting screws. Have the front aligned and all should be well..

If you get stuck in any part of the process, let me know what you are stuck on (take pics and post them here if necessary) and I will help you get past that obstacle..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You missed the part I am stuck on. All those steps you gave are the steps I already have and follow. I need to know where you place the jack on the cross member in order to secure it as you lower it. That is the part I need a video or a pic of so I am placing it in the right spot. Also include a pic of the 4 bolts to remove so I can confirm I have the right spot. Send me a pic of the jack under the cross member so I know where to securely lower it in order to access the bushings. That has been my hold up this whole time is where to place the jack at and lower the cross member safely. I need to know that in order to complete the job. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Here is a pic pointing out the locations of the screws and where to put the jack when lowering the crossmember

,

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you show me a actual picture where you would place the jack under it using your jack? I need a mechanic to actually show me the view from underneath and where the jack is positioned. That is why I asked for a video. I need a pic if no video can be found. the diagram you showed me to view does not actually show the jack itself underneath the car. That is what I need, because unless it is perfect and fit, it can create disaster and that is why I turned to experts is to do so safely. Please show me with your car and the jack, where at you would place it in order to lower it and raise it. That was stated in the original document before I got you involved in it. I did plainly state I would need a picture with the jack itself from under the vehicle, so I am sorry if you feel that is too much to ask, but I need to see that kind of pic for my safety to perform the job. If you can show me where the jack goes using a live view of it, such as your car or any pic with the jack and no just a digram of text, that will be enough to try it out. I need to see the actual jack itself placed underneath and into position. There is so much underneath mine including a gap under the cross member to where I almost do not see how to secure the crossmember. I do not see a flat place to position the jack when I look underneath at mine. I dont know if the dynasty were made a bit different or what, but under my car is a slight gap and not a flat medal to know where to place the jack. I hope you understand why I am asking you to show my using your jack unless you can locate a picture with it already in place. The link you sent me to only shows a graphical image of the part from the top view and the bolts, but does not show me the jack itself or where to position it. Not trying to repeat myself, but I need to paint the picture clear as possible where I am stuck. I am not sure how many mechanics or on here or if they sent mine to you or you claimed it, but if it was not possible then they should not have sent it to yuo or tied you up. I feel like enough time has passed on the matter and you might feel the request to get underneath and take a pic is too much, but that is what I am needing to get the job done. Please do that as soon as possible so that I can see from the underneath view of the car where to position the jack. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have a pic showing where you can position the jack to lift the vehicle. You WILL need 2 Jack stands to support the vehicle once it is raised.

Here is where you can position the jack to raise the vehicle: --->> Click Here to view <<---

Here is where you must SUPPORT the vehicle BEFORE you get under the vehicle: --->> Click Here to view <<--- The black arrow shows where NOT to put the jack stand as it will damage the rocker panel seam..

Once you have the front end off the ground and have safely supported it with Jack Stands as shown in the second picture, you will use the jack under the cross member as shown in the first picture to SUPPORT it while you remove the 4 mounting bolts. Once all 4 mounting bolts are removed, you can slowly lower the jack enough to lower the crossmember for access to get to the Bushing. If I'm correct, your rack and pinion may only have one bushing, The other end may be solidly mounted to the crossmember. If you can't get the crossmember to lower down far enough, you may need to disengage the steering shaft from the steering column to allow the crossmember to drop farther. Remember if you do this, make sure nothing rotates while it is apart to avoid damaging the clockspring after everything is back together...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but if you are only supporting the lower front crossmember, what keeps it from faling on the back side? Wouldnt that be unstable? Those are things that stumped me when looking at the manual. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Basically if it becomes unstable, you go ahead and move the jack rearwards a bit. The Front Crossmember is still attached at the lower ball joints to the wheels so there is no issue about the crossmember falling out, it isn't that heavy so there is no issues lowering it in this manner... Basically just move the jack to the best location under the crossmember to support it and stop the rear from teetering down...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you be able to move it if you have the jack already in position with the bolts out? I was told that is the motor too being lowered in there.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

It will move easily, As I stated, the crossmember is not that heavy, it basically is only holding the front suspension and rack and pinion. The engine is NOT supported by the front crossmember. The 3 motor mounts are located on the unibody frame itself. Once you remove the bolts, start lowering the crossmember, if it begins to tilt rearwards, you will be able to easily move the jack into a more strategic location...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying to lift the car by jacking in the same spot from which you will lower the cross member? What part is the pic where you show lifting the car? Approximately how heavy is the cross member and how can you say it is not heavy when it says to use a jack for it? Why do you need a jack if it is not heavy?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Correct, you can jack up the car from the same spot or area that you use to lower the cross member.
HERE is the part where I show lifting the car. This is the same area or slightly rearward used to lower the crossmember. The reason you need the jack to lower the crossmember is because you need the jack to help you raise it back into position after repair. You need the jack to hold it back in place while you reinstall the mounting bolts for the crossmember. The crossmember assembly with the rack and pinion attached is no more than a couple hundred pounds but keep in mind that you will not be removing the lower ball joints so the struts and knuckles will help to hold the crossmember up.

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason the pic you show looks different than under my car. I need a actual picture like mine in order to understand it. I will get a pic from under mine tomorrow and when I send it to you, you edit it to show me where to remove the bolts and place the jacks, because mine does not look like the pic I see where to lift from. Wait for my next reply with the pic of my car.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds good, Post pics of your vehicle and I'll do my best do describe what must be done to remove the crossmember. As for the jack position, my pic may not be exact but the main idea is to find the frame rail below the vehicle and put the jack stands there. Don't put the jack stands on the pinch rail as shown. If you place jacks there, it will bend the pinch rail as show in my pic.

Just take pics of the same area on yours and I'll edit it for Jack stand location. As for bolt locations, you do your best to get the area just above the axle shaft and the area just behind the crossmember area near where the jack stands are placed...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I must know from you where to remove the bolts to access the cross member, because I did say I need the full steps when I purchased the service. I want to make sure I have the right bolts. I will show you the pic and you edit the pic from there to show which ones to remove and where to place the jack. I will send it tomorrow.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you unable to get vehicle specific pics? I tried but can not get a clear enough pic for you.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I'll need a day or two to get under the vehicle to take some pics. If you don't hear from me by Saturday, post a reply to keep me on track..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will wait until Saturday but if you are still not able to get me the exact details I will need to let another one take my question, because this has costed me $16 and I paid to get specific pictures and details for my vehicle in order to get the job done. My problem the whole time has been not know where at to put the jack and the repair manuals dont cover everything of course. If you are able to answer the question by Saturday I will give you a good rating and consider you for future ones, but this issue is going on a week and I need to fix the issue asap, so please make it no later than Saturday so I can get it done. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I have been researching your concern and now have a bit of information for you...Let me know if you are missing any info or need an explanation of anything posted here...

Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid the $16, I have not received any payment whatsoever. I ONLY receive payment when you rate my service with an "Ok Service" or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating..

Here is a "ZIP" file containing several pictures, They are all edited showing specific locations for the lifting point and jack stand supporting locations. It also shows where all 4 crossmember mounting bolts are located and where you position the jack for lifting the vehicle and where you can position it for lowering and raising the crossmember back into place.

Keep in mind that it may be possible to remove the bushings and replace them without lowering the crossmember. As long as you have enough room to remove the mounting brackets and move the rack and pinion around, you may be able to remove and replace the bushings without lowering the crossmember.

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Click the following link to download the zip file to your computer, After downloading, extract the contents to your desktop to view the individual pictures..

--->> Click to download <<--- ZIP file (click to save to your computer)

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. You need to resend it or correct the issue somehow. When I download and try to view, it says the files were removed or renamed giving an error and not the photos.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

The file I posted above is a Compressed ZIP file. You will need a program such as WinZip or WinRar to extract the files, Do you have one of these or a similar program to extract the files? If not, here is a link to download and install.

WinZip Download

If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll post all 10 individual pictures...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I figured I'd just make it easier on you and post all 10 files here:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you will, start me fresh and give me step by step instructions now that I have the pictures and this might help me map it out. I will use the pictures to look at mine and see if it differs. The part I thought I had to remove looks like what would be a square plate with 4 bolts in a square pattern close together. That must have been the wrong part and why I could not figure it out. The manual does not specify the pics of each part. Would you have an idea of the part I am referring to as the inccorect part? Your pics show the crossmember bolts on opposite sides of the car. I was looking at a part not far behind the cross member that I thought had to be removed before it. It is what looks to me a plate or something with 4 bolts. Anyways please send me the step by step instructions for removal, including any tools I might need to rent and I will get to it, leaving you a positive rating after I complete the job. Do I have to remove the outer/inner tie end rods in order to lower the cross member? The pics are making a difference, now the instructions would help me finish it. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what could be a square plate with 4 bolts in a close square pattern. There is nothing that needs to be removed in order to drop the crossmember other than the 4 bolts, 2 on each side.

I'm going to give you a step by step as if I were doing the job from start to finish. The pics that I posted show all locations of all 4 crossmember bolts and supporting locations. I also stated earlier and in one of the photos that I posted that you may NOT need to actually drop the crossmember down to access the bushings that you are replacing. I've never actually just replaced bushings so I'm not 100% sure but it appears that there is in fact enough room in there to remove all 4 rack and pinion mounting bolts and move the rack and pinion up enough to access the bushings for replacement. It's up to you to try this "Shortcut" to see if it works for you. Otherwise, follow the following instructions to lower the crossmember to replace the bushings.

1 - Raise the vehicle using a floor jack placing the jack in the location shown in the pics. Be sure to Chock both rear wheels to keep the vehicle from rolling. Raise it high enough to crawl under comfortably and safely.

2 - Place jack stands under left and right side unibody frame rails as shown in pics. Lower vehicle to have jackstands support the vehicle.

3 - Place the floor jack rearwards of the lifting location to the rear of the front crossmember and sway bar location and support the crossmember lightly.

4 - Remove all 4 crossmember supporting bolts using an 18mm socket and ratchet, universal wobble extension and socket extensions may be required to access all 4 mounting bolts.

5 - Lower front crossmember slightly leaving enough room to access the rack and pinion mounting bolts, these should be 15mm hex bolts. 15mm socket and extensions and or wrenches required for removal of rack mounting bolts. (keep in mind that since the steering shaft is still hooked up, the crossmember may not drop down very far especially on the driver side)

6 - Remove all 4 rack and pinion mounting bolts (15mm)

7 - Lower crossmember a bit more and just enough to access the mounting brackets for the rack and pinion and to replace the bushings.

8 - Replace the rack bushings, reassemble the brackets.

9 - Raise the Crossmember back up high enough to reinstall the rack and pinion mounting bolts and torque securely.

10 - Raise the crossmember back into place, install all 4 mounting bolts and install loosely.

11 - once all 4 bolts are back in place torque all 4 bolts securely.

12 - Position the floor jack back to the lifting position and raise vehicle off the jack stands.

13 - Remove jack stands and lower vehicle.

Keep in mind that a front end alignment is recommended any time suspension is apart to make sure you have no issues with irregular tire wear...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You left one thing out. Do I need to remove the tiee end rods or get any specialty tools? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also should I apply the emergency brakes while I raise it to work on?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

No, Tie rods do not need to be removed. There are no specialty tools required. Only tools needed are the ones I listed in the procedure.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to apply the emergency brakes any time working under vehicle...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without dropping the crossmember which bolts are the rack and pinion or whatever the shortcut was? I see the bolts to the bushings when I raise it up.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Yes, those are the bolts I'm talking about. Take those out first to see if it gives you enough room in which to replace the bushings. If there is enough room you will not have to drop the crossmember. IF you still can't access the bushings after removing the bushing bracket bolts, then you will need to drop the crossmember...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you have never done rack and pinion bushings before? If not I will need a more qualified expert for my question, because now I need to know after removing the mounting bracket how should the bushings be positioned, because the old ones look pinched between what is under there and I did not know if they should be like that or if the bushings and the bracket just go back in place and it will form its position. The old one is tight on there and does not want to come off even though it is tore and bad bushings. If you can tell me how the bushings should be seated and look with the bracket then I shall be done and you will get your positive rating, plus the money. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My issue remaining is how do I get the new bushings into place? I try placing them in the spot of the old, but can not get it to go together. I am guessing because it is new bushings the rubber is thick and it is making it too hard to squeeze into place so how do I get the new ones to install properly? If you can help me figure that out by giving any tricks/tips to getting the new ones in place, I think I can have this wrapped up. I managed to get the driver side off without dropping the crossmember. It will not go into place as easy as it came off. Please send any tips to installing the new ones so I can get them into place and be done. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I've never done "Just" rack bushings. Every time I've replaced the rack and pinion bushings I also replaced the rack and pinion assembly. The reason I told you that I've never done just rack bushings is because I wasn't sure whether or not my "Shortcut" would work out for you. It appears that it partially may have with the exception of you having a hard time getting the bushings back in place. If this is the case, you may still end up needing to drop the crossmember slightly on the driver side to give you enough room to get the bushing in place.

It's normal for the bushings to look pinched in the brackets.

So basically the way the bushings are installed is to wrap the bushing around the rack and pinion with the flat to the botttom. The bushings are different from each other, the one with the round indent goes to the passenger side, the indent is to support the steel tube that runs across the rack. The bushing without that hole goes on the driver side. After wrapping the bushing around the rack, spray some silicone spray liberally on the bushing then install the lower plate on the lower tabs of the bushing making sure the bracket locks in place. After the lower part of the bracket is in place, slide the upper part of the bracket over the bushing, you will notice a fairly large space between the upper and lower parts of the bracket. Just make sure that the bushings are coated liberally with silicone spray then install the rack and pinion mounting bolts and tighten them down using an alternating pattern tightening all 4 bolts evenly making sure the bushings are not sliding out while torquing the rack and pinion down...

Here is a drawing of the bushing and bracket installation...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Basically, the trick to getting them to go on easier is to use the silicone spray. If not available, use dish soap and water solution to make the bushing brackets slide on easier...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting number 7 to go into place and the bushing into it is where I am struggling. I get the bushing over the rack and I start by inserting it on the back side before putting it in place thinking then I only have to work with the front side, but it is not going and number 7 will not slide to the front with the bushing attached. How do I get the bushing to go into number 7 with it in place? Dropping the crossmember is like dropping the motor. Everyone else is saying it, how come you were saying it is not? Is there another cross member one might be referring to? I need a way to get the bushing and number 7 in place to avoid dropping it if possible. Please share other ways you might consider. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried a lubricant such as silicone spray or soapy water solution? If not, try this first, lubricating the bushing makes it go into the slot in number 7 much easier. Once both pieces of the bushing are in the slot on number 7, then slide the curved upper piece over the bushing again, coating liberally with the silicone spray or soapy water solution, this makes it easier to get everything back together with the new bushings...

I don't know why other people are telling you that dropping the crossmember is like dropping the motor because it definitely is NOT. The engine and transmission are NOT attached to the suspension crossmember and it is NOT required to drop or even support the engine and transmission when dropping the suspension crossmember. Trust me, it is not that hard to do to loosen and lower slightly the driver side of the crossmember enough to gain access to install the bushing. All you need to do is to remove both driver side crossmember attachment bolts and loosen the right side enough to allow the jack to lower the crossmember slightly enough to gain enough access to easily install the bushings...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is getting the bushing into number 7 and getting 7 into the spot to reinstall it. The new bushings I think are just too thick and will not fit. The way I am doing is inserting what will be the back of the bushing into number 7 then trying to pull it under and to the front to insert it there. There is no way of getting it to go in from the back side without sticking it in the slot on number 7 first.The space is too tight, so I am trying to position the back side and the somehow pull it to the front to get it into position.That is where I am struggling. If I can figure that out it will solve it all.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I think that is happening because you are not able to raise the rack and pinion high enough to gain access underneath the rack to position number 7 to the correct location. I'm beginning to suspect that you will need to lower the left side of the crossmember enough to gain the clearance necessary to insert the number 7 into place. If the bushings are in fact too thick, you may have to shave them down a bit to make it fit, There is likeky NOT an option for these bushings from the dealer as I would suspect that they are at this point a discontinued part from chrysler. Actually, I think once you gain enough clearance, you will be able to install the number 7 and the upper bracket and as long as the rack mounting bolts are long enough to thread into the crossmember you WILL be able to install those new bushings....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without the bushing, number 7 lines up fine, but when I stick the bushing in one side and slide it into place it will not move forward enough to insert the front into part 7.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but this is my last try before asking for a different expert,because I get the feeling even you are not familiar with it and if I am wrong I am sorry, but look at the pic I am sending you and compare it to what you are telling me. It is not the same thing and that is the book. I know enough to know the parts are what the book shows, but the instructions are what are not clear in the book which is why I asked for an expert. You are telling me different bolts to remove for the cross member than what the pic shows. The pic shows the 4 bolts I was talking about at first in a square pattern. I need you to dig deeper and look at the attached pic or I will need my question reassigned, because I paid to get it fixed with answers and not be told something incorrect. I am no expert and would not claim to be, but I know the parts are what they say in the book and the parts you are telling me to remove to lower the cross member are not the same. Look at the pic, get back to me and this will be my last attempt as it has been ongoing and you even stated you have not done bushings alone so it should have been left to one who has. If you can provide a valid way to remove/install the bushings this will be resolved and in your favor for the money. I dont know why you were telling me different piece to remove than the book, but I am looking forward to your next reply for some answers.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

The funny thing is that I AM familiar with this setup as I have been working with Chrysler products since 1987. The pics that I have posted for you ARE for the exact part that you are showing me in your pic. Of course the drawing from the service manual is NOT accurate. It doesn't show the locations of the mounting bolts that I am trying to have you remove to drop the crossmember. I'm posting a mark up of your pic showing where the locations of the bolts are. They are not shown in your pic.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

You stated: " I know enough to know the parts are what the book shows, but the instructions are what are not clear in the book which is why I asked for an expert. "

The pic you posted is not an accurate drawing of the front suspension crossmember.

You stated: "You are telling me different bolts to remove for the cross member than what the pic shows. The pic shows the 4 bolts I was talking about at first in a square pattern."

The 4 bolts you are showing in the pic are the rack and pinion mounting bolts, these are the ones you removed to access the bushings.

You stated: " I am no expert and would not claim to be, but I know the parts are what they say in the book and the parts you are telling me to remove to lower the cross member are not the same. "

Actually, the part shown in your pic IS the same part that I am referring to. The pic is not accurate but I marked in red the general area of the mounting bolts. These are shown in the pics I posted for you....

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually no I did not remove those 4 to the rack and pinion. I went through from above the hood using extensions to reach the bolt at the bottom. Needless to say I got the old off and am unable to squeeze the new on and that is where my struggle lies. I need to be sure I lower the correct part in order to access it. I just find it strange others say it is where the motor connects and you say not. That is why in the first place I said a video is most helpful, but you said you could not find any. I do not see where to place the jack to secure the cross member either. Everywhere I look underneath it appears it could not hold it if you remove the bolts. If you actually had a pic of the cross member dropped that would say everything perfectly clear as to where to unbolt and peace of mind the motor was not attached. Can you provide one with it dropped? I think I will have to drop it in order to install the new ones. I just need t know the right place and where the jack is able to hold it from. the pic you gave is telling me, but I do not see it lowered to know how it will support it. the driver side in the pain in the A**. The passenger is easier to get to. The trouble is squeezing the new bushings together enough to get them in place, unless I lower it.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

You stated: "Actually no I did not remove those 4 to the rack and pinion."

If you have the bushings out already then you DID remove the 4 rack bolts. it doesn't matter where you accessed the bushing bolts from you did in fact remove the 4 bolts to the rack and pinion. These bolts hold the bushings in place as well as the rack and pinion..

I don't have a pic with the crossmember dropped. The location I show you as a good supporting point is plenty strong to hold the crossmember while you drop it.

At this time I have no choice but to opt out of this question. Everything I told you is correct and true. If you don't believe me that the engine is not supported by the suspension crossmember then I have nothing further to add on this concern.. Good luck with this project and thanks for using JA even though I couldn't help you....

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well sorry it was too much for you and thanks for trying.