Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Having starting problems. Usually is worse on hot days.

Customer Question

Having starting problems. Usually is worse on hot days. Won't turn over. Had battery and starter changed. Now Chrysler garage wants to change our TIPM for $1000 but they're not sure if that's the problem.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: 80,000 miles No doesn't turn over.....just makes an initial sound.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2013
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not really. We just don't want to spend $1000 for new TIPM and find out that's not the problem. Chrysler mechanic has no idea what the problem is and when I google it, tons of people seem to have the same problem with our make and model.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just wondering if it could be the FCM ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What model is this and what engine came in it? Is this an auto or manual trans?

What is that initial sound you described, is it a starter relay, starter solenoid, etc or can't you tell? Is it just one click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2011 Town & Country, automatic, sounds like it's going to catch and start but then doesn't (it's not a click) We had someone test the starter relay and it worked fine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If it's not a click what kind of noise is it?

Let me get this straight, when you say won't turn over, I assume you mean the starter will now, turn or crank the engine over, correct or do you mean that the engine will not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter will not crank the engine over
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Engine?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Never mind, I see it's the 3.6l. It

It could possibly be the TIPM, Here is the wiring diagram so if you have not tried already throw on a new starter relay, maybe you will get lucky.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

if you have not tried already throw on a new starter relay, maybe you will get lucky

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.