tracer5
tracer5, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L1, Shop Owner, Foreign and Domestic
13677702

MY FATHER BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER A 2003 PT CRUISER. WE DROVE IT

Customer Question

MY FATHER BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER A 2003 PT CRUISER. WE DROVE IT DOWN FROM GALVESTON,TX TO KILLEEN,TX . THE NEXT DAY THE TIMING BELT SNAPPED. WE GOT IT CHANGED BUT IT STILL WONT START. HAD A COMPRESSION TEST DONE AND THEY SAY THE VALVES ARE BENT. HOW MUCH WILL SOMETHING LIKE THAT COST? OR SHOULD WE JUST JUNK THE CAR?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any odd squeaking noises? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO IM HER MOTHER. I WONT TO TAKE IT TO A SHOP, BUT NOT BE SCAMMED ON THE PRICE I HAVE TO PAY
JA: The Chrysler Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: IM NOT FAMILAR WITH THIS SIGHT. I JUST GOOGLED WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE CAR
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: JUST NEED TO KNW A ROUND ABOUT PRICE TO FIX THE CAR AND IF ITS WORTH IT.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

hello, Sorry for the delay, I need to pull information and send to you, Please bear with me a few minutes,I fully understand what you are asking and will do my best to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I can not say if to junk the car, that is up to you and financnes but.. many of todays car engines are interference in which when a timing belt breaks? yes, 100% it can bend valves. I can in no way say how many are bent, so I will give you and estimate as which you would get in our shop, based on $80 per hour, you could be looking at around $100 per hour so you have to do the math on that, With all this said? here is a pretty close estimate

Book time to change the valves is 11.4 hours

timing belt $40

Valves $20 each

Fluids and misc materials $50

head gasket set $75

$1197.00 based on only 6 valves bent

This estimate is real close but,, could be some hidden expenses when work starts, so very very safe? max would be $1500

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new belt has already been put on.
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

then if new belt, then the labor drops to 9.8 hours plus the fluids and misc and the valves howvere many are bad and the gasket kit so,, estimate drops to around $1030 or say $1200 to be safe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are valves something you can buy or get used?
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

you do NOT get used valves. They are purchased new and 99% from the dealer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok because I had a mechanic say I could go to auto yard and get something
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

you cant get the valves, they are inside the cylinder head, i suspect they meant you could go buy a cylinder head and yes, some yards will sell them used

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much sir.
Expert:  tracer5 replied 1 year ago.

your welcome, hope all goes ok, Please leave feedback for my service I have provided today