Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I replaced the fan radiator. Thermostat. Temperature sensor

Customer Question
and hoses. Still overheats and...
I replaced the fan radiator. Thermostat. Temperature sensor and hoses. Still overheats and fans do not come on. Could it be the Pwm?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2002 pt cruiser. Overheating. Replaced radiator, fan, thermostat, temperature sensor, a,Ned hoses. Fan still does not work and it overheats. Could it be the PCM. No water in the oil.
JA: Watching the temperature gauge creep up into the red is never fun. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with overheating troubles. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced fan, radiator, hoses, thermostat, and temperature sensor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: 2002 pt cruiser with 90,000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
5/29/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** it overheat while driving down the highway? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
while idling

If it overheats while going down the highway that proves fan isn't the problem because air from going highway speeds blows harder then the radiator fans. These engines are known for head gasket problems and considering you have replaced everything else it seems like that is the cause. Next step is to do a cooling system pressure test and block test which checks for exhaust gas in coolant. If it fails either test then the head gasket will need to be replaced. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No water in the oil. Could it be the PCM?

There usually isn't water in the oil so that isn't a accurate way to test for head gasket damage. The PCM could cause the cooling fans to not come on but even with cooling fans completely disconnected it should not overheat going down the highway so I'm pretty sure you have a head gasket problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That does not tell me why fan is not working

Ground the dark blue/pink wire at pin 69 of connector 2 at PCM, this should turn fan on at high speed. Then ground the yellow/red wire at pin 55, this should turn it on at low speed. If both fan speeds are working when grounding wire then replace PCM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tested cooling system, no leak. It holds pressure. Did the exhaust gas test, none. I did the head gasket check and no problems. Thinking water pump?

It doesn't really fit the symptoms but is the only thing left. I'd also make sure all air pockets were bleed out.

Dan, Technician