Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

The malfunction indicator just came on. not sure if I should

Customer Question
drive it until I can...
the malfunction indicator just came on. not sure if I should drive it until I can get it in the shop.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: right now that is all I know. I did check to make sure my gas cap was on tight.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 71900
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not sure what is wrong.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
5/26/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: bill, chrysler master tech replied 1 year ago
bill
bill, chrysler master tech

the MIL or check engine light can come on for literally thousands of reasons (fault codes)

is the MIL flashing?

if it IS DO NOT drive the car, if not how does the car run and have you recently fueled up?

what is the year and model of your chrysler?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not flashing as it just came on on my way home from work. I fueled up last week and still have 3/4 of a tank. I have a 2008 Town and Country.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car is running like it always has. I have not noticed anything unusual.

ok you should have the codes pulled either at your mechanics shop or at a place like auto zone if the light is NOT flashing and the van is running ok it's LIKELY safe to drive as i said there are literally thousands of codes that can set i can do little (as can any expert) without the actual fault code or codes set

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will stop and see if I can get the code and if not I will be at a repair shop on Sat.

you should be vine in connecticut where i am we see a LOT of evaporative emissions codes and not a bunch more

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had it checked and it says it is the coolant thermostat. How serious and expensive is this?
the thermostat is about 30 bucks plus the correct coolant is about 11 bucks a gallon and 1.5 hours labor max to replace it I don't know what tje labor rate is in your area so I can't give a dollar figure on that
bill
bill
bill, chrysler master tech