Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I HAVE A 2011 CHRYSLER T&C VAN (LOADED) KEYLESS....THERE

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2011 CHRYSLER...
I HAVE A 2011 CHRYSLER T&C VAN (LOADED) KEYLESS....THERE IS TIMES WHEN IT REFUSES TO START....I PUSH THE BOTTON - NOTHING, NOT EVEN A CLICK. HOWEVER, YOU WAIT 1/2 HOUR TO AN HOUR AND IT WILL START....NEVER KNOW WHEN IT WILL START. I HAVE TAKEN IT TO THE DEALER, THEY SAID THEY COULD ONLY CHECK IT IF IT'S NOT STARTING, BUT BY THE TIME I CALLTHE TOWTRUCK, IT STARTS AGAIN....I PUT A NEW BATTERY IN. HAVE TWO KEY BOB'S, DEALER CHECK THEM BOTH OUT...OKAY.
I HATE TO TRADE THIS CAR IN, CAUSE IT IS GREAT IN EVERY OTHER WAY...i'M 82 YRS OLD AND MIGHT NEED THE CAR IN AN EMERGENCY, AND IT'S NOT RELIABLE...IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER I WOULD BE MORE THAN GREATFUL.....THANK YOU *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
5/18/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Technician replied 1 year ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Don, thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your T&C.There are reports of the TPIM being the cause and is a very well know issue with these but let me ask first, when this concern happens, do you see that brake lights come on?Here is the TPIM Issue...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
truthfully, i never looked
Ok, one of these two items will be the cause of your concern. I know this is very inconveniencing for you but the next time this happens, make sure the brake lights come on. If they come on and you van doesn't start, then the problem is the TPIM. If they don't come on, then the problem will be the brake light switch. The system needs to see that your foot is on the brake for the engine to turn over and start. Does this make sense?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i realize the the brake must be applied when starting, this is being done everytime, so why does it start sometime time and not other times? it seems that if the car sits idol for a period of time (like something is resetting) it will start again... if it was the brake light switch as you say then it would never start
so why does it start sometime time and not other times?Because the switch is bad and not sending the signal, that your foot is on the brake, to the computer. That is why I was asking if you see the brake lights on when this concern happens. If the car does not start, look back and see if the brake lights are on. If not, this confirms that the switch is bad. A switch doesn't just have to be bad all the time. The internal contacts can some times make a good connection and sometimes not. It's an internal connection problem with the switch. Does that help?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay...lets say that the brake lights come on...now what.....the chrysler dealer mech. says that he can only diagnose it when it's not running, therefore he also said he wouldn't know for sure if it was the tpim (which is very expensive.....i have already spent $800. with two different chrysler dealers.still not starting when it should
You make some good points and yes, this is where we are. We can only go on what we know and if the van starts, then all the testing in the world will come out as good. The fact is that we know it's not and something is wrong. These are the two items we see at the Dealer most often so that is where we look towards. A pattern "known issue" failure. Now if this happens again and the brake lights do come on then we know the switch is not the issue and the most likely culprit is the TPIM. At that point, assuming it starts working again and cant be tested, you would have to decide is it worth putting in a TPIM or trading it in/sell it. I wish I had a crystal ball and could say, yes this is the exact problem but unfortunately that's not real life. I use my experience working on these vehicle everyday to help customers with these concerns.
Is this helping us?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I UNDERSTAND...THANK YOU FOR TRYING.....
My pleasure and know that if you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician