sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My name is ***** ***** I have a 2007 pt cruiser. When

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I have a 2007 pt cruiser. When I turn on the headlights, the dash light flickers about 3 or 4 times then goes completely out and my tail lights don't work. Could be a bad fuse, relay or possibly a faulty headlight switch?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Chrysler Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No, I sure don't.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chrysler Mechanic to figure that out.
Customer: Ok thanks.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I hope I can, trying to save some money on a repair bill.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: Yes, the airbag light stays on and I got a mechanic to check it out and he said it is the passengers side seat belt sensor.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!THe park lamps and interior illumination are controlled separately but obviously both depend on the switch signal to come on. IF they are both going out together then I would first suspect a switch issue, but if the switch was bad then the headlamps should go out also. Are the headlamps turning off when this happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the headlights are working.
What happens if you turn the switch to the park lamp position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does the same thing.
You're losing all four park lamps, instrument cluster illumination, radio and a/c control head illumination?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just the dash lights, park lamps and tail lights.
What specific lights inside the car are turning off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dash lights that illuminate the speedometer and other gauges.
That's the instrument cluster. It controls the other illumination and if the other illumination stays on then that would indicate an internal failure of the instrument cluster, which would not explain the park lamps going off.Do the park lamps never come on or do they show the same exact behavior as the instrument cluster lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They never come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could there possibly be a loose connector or wire that is shorting out on something such as coming into contact with metal somewhere behind the dash?
You do have two issues going on then. Have the park lamp bulbs all been checked with an ohm meter or replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they haven't, but I'll replace them this afternoon. Once I replace them and if they start working, what kind of issue am I having with the instrument cluster?
The instrument cluster illumination going down is an internal failure in the cluster if the other illumination does stay on and the lights haven't been turned down by the dimmer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, I'm headed to church so I'll talk to you some more this afternoon.
Not a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm back. Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much it'll cost to get it fixed?
To replace the instrument cluster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
A Mopar replacement would run $550-660 depending on exact vehicle build, and it calls for .5 hour of labor to replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Its more expensive than I was thinking it would be! I'll probably trade it in on a newer model car or pickup. Thanks for all your help.
You're welcome and good luck with it!