sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My windshield wipers come on randomly when the car is off.

Customer Question

my windshield wipers come on randomly when the car is off. sometimes i can stop them by turning the car on and rotating the windshield wiper switch on an then off. I have just pulled the fuse for now
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thats all, windshield wipers come on when the car is off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: when this happens, i turn the car on and rotate the switch on an off. otherwise i just pull the fuse
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: now no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two. Continue >>
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what year and model is your Chrysler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 town and country touring
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are a handful of things that could cause the wipers to come on by themselves. The wiper motor is controlled by the front control module after receiving a signal from the body control module. Either of the modules could be the issue but it's more likely to be the motor itself.The wiper motor contains a park switch that closes as the motor passes through the position where the arms would be parked. If the park switch circuit is opening either due to a failed switch in the motor or a wiring issue then it can cause the FCM to run the motor in an attempt to park it.What will need to be done is monitor data with a scan tool while the problem is happening. The first thing I would look at is the park switch input. If the switch is going open then the circuit should be tested for an open, which could be wiring or an internal issue in the integrated power module. If the circuit turns out to be ok yet the FCM is seeing it open then the motor will need to be replaced.