Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler PT Crusier: My Pt Cruiser had a somewhat rough idle

Customer Question
My Pt Cruiser had a...
My Pt Cruiser had a somewhat rough idle at times and was showing a 304 code. I tried replacing the plugs, wires and coil hoping to take care of the problem, but still couldn’t get it to go away. Other than the idle issue it ran fine. After reading and looking for different issue I replaced the #4 fuel injector and now the engine idles badly and does not run smoothly at speed any more.
Do you have ideas where the problem might now be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
5/10/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Did you forget to plug the #4 injector plug back on or is it loose?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked that and all the other plugs I messed with.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also changed the o rings on the other 3 injectors.
Ok, I have no idea then what it is. I was hoping it was the injector plug that was left off. I'll opt out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks
Chrysler Mechanic: SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Check compression on cylinder #4 and compare it to another cylinder.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't do that until Wed, but why would that be an issue after a injector change
no
Could be bad driver in PCM.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It often ran fine prior to the change, but at time the idle was poor and died once. At speed though it ran just fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I agree to a call is that a one time thing or can I call has many time has it take for "this" issue?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Joshua Haynes
Hi, my name is***** am going to try to help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't call tonight.....any ideas though
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
At this point, I don't see where we need to have a phone call...I do have a few questions though
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Am I reading correctly that you have had a misfire problem on cylinder 4 for a while, but until you changed the injector it was not consistent and only at idle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, before you replaced the injector, did you happen to test it for internal continuity?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Also, do you have the means to do that now with the old one and the new one?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just an ohmed it and it was the same
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
the old one was the same as the new one?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very close .....It's late for me so I'll have to pick this back up tomorrow
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
ok, no problem. I should be on around 8am eastern. I look forward to working with you! have a good night
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ideas?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Do you have a way to test the signal to the injector such as a noid light?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you have made any progress. Were you able to get my last two responses?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the delay it was due to computer issuesI do not have a noid light.
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, no problem. We need to check the signal going to the fuel injector to make sure that it is getting a signal before we proceed. In lieu of a noid light, you may want to check the pins in the connector for the injector to make sure that they have not been bent or pushed out at all. This could explain why the problem exists only after changing the injector. If nothing obvious is found after doing this, I would say that you really need to go rent a noid light set from a parts store so you can verify signal. It is possible that while changing the parts, the wires may have been shorted somewhere and blown the driver in the pcm...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I now have new codes too that I couldn't check before because I was working. The new codes are 113 and 508 and just a reminder that this is an 04 PT Cruiser with turbo
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also replaced the cracked cleaner tube between the air filter box and turbo
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
So you probably already know this but those codes refer to the idle air control valve and the air intake temperature sensor; neither of which would cause a misfire on a single cylinder. It is most likely that during testing, you unplugged one or both of these items and accidentally caused the code. It is possible to set these codes by having one unplugged and not starting the engine but turning the key to the on position...Do you think that you would be able to get the noid light tester? Have you had a chance to check the wires to the injector?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get my message about getting a 113 and 508 code?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry about my last message just a bit ago about whether or not you had seen the codes I missed the message you sent earlier this morning. At this point I'm not getting a 304 code for the misfire in the number 4 cylinder. I don't know how important that is to not have that but have the 113 & 508 codes but I have not been able to get a test light at this point but I am sure the plug is attached firmly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible I would have to drive it more to get to 304 code to come back
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
ok, good deal man. I don't want you to do too much else without the po304 code because that is the entire problem. as far as the others, just make sure that you have both of them plugged in well and clear it again (if you have not already). They both would be related to the cracked hose you replaced so I assume since they are new since you performed that repair that they are non-issues.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The current issue a very poor idle and skipping at speed but to me it seems to be across all cylinders and not to just one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't notice the new codes until after I had replaced the hose and then driven it
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'm sorry I don't think I understood properly, I thought that the only issue was the code p0304, but I see now that you are having a general skipping. So, when was the last time you saw the p0304...was this before or after you changed the plugs/injector. Also, something you may be able to do to remedy the poor idle would be to check the idle air control valve for carbon build up. The carbon can build up on the valve and not allow proper air flow through the engine while the throttle is closed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does it mean that is a 304 code doesn't still exist but I haven't seen it since he replaced a fuel injector. If I clean the sensor and the problem still exists but other ideas would you have
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Would you be willing to have a phone call? I am having trouble following you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Possibly in the morning
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
I won't be able to in the morning but I can tomorrow night if you are available. I have to work tomorrow during the day. We can try to continue on here until then...Would you mind rephrasing your last reply and maybe I would understand better
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't seen the 304 code since I changed the injector. I've driven it twice but the code hasn't returned. Perhaps I have driven it far enough. If I clean the sensor and the problem is still there what idea might you have.
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, I thought that was what you meant but wanted to be sure...one other question: What exactly is the problem you are talking about, the engine codes for iat and iac or the rough running. Are you still having the rough running or is it just at idle or what?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
113 and 508
I little at speed but more at idle
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Gotcha. Ok, so if the 113 and 508 codes only happened after the cracked duct was replaced, I have to assume that the computer had "learned" a strategy to compensate for the extra, un-metered air that was allowed to leak into the engine as a result of the crack in the duct in addition to the misfire that was repaired . If that is the case, then the codes could be a result of the abrupt change that occurred after all were repaired, and if the adaptives in the computer haven't been reset, it could be running poorly and throwing those two codes as a result. In other words, it was compensating for a problem that you fixed, most likely by adding too much fuel, and is now running rich and causing this problem. Try to clean the IAC valve out like we talked about but also disconnect the battery for at least one minute to reset the adaptives in the computer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.... I'll use a code reader to erase them
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
If you use the code reader, it will not reset the adaptives, unfortunately. I suggest the battery because it will erase the learned values as well...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll give it a try tomorrow
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Awesome, good luck!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more thing after thinking about it... Anything special to clean it with
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
yes, you should use brake cleaner. It is usually the best solvent for cleaning off carbon buildup
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No change after cleaning
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
And you have tried resetting via disconnecting the battery?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes I had the battery disconnected while I did all the work so that everything would reset
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Buddy, I am sorry I don't think I have any further help to offer. I am going to opt out so another expert may help you.
Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes