sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler sebring lx convertible: 2008 chrysler sebring convertible

Customer Question

2008 chrysler sebring convertible - windows sometimes will go down 1/2 inch like it should when you open the door most of the time it does not. they never go back up after closing door. both front windows will not stay up they go back down about 6 or 8 inches every time you roll them up. you have to hold the up switch until the window clicks twice to get them to stay up. impossible to get the drivers window up after leaving car. when you put the top down the back windows go down as they should front windows do nothing, they will not go down when top is lower they will not go up when top is put up. this all started when my battery died and had to be replaced. thanks terry
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You may have a combination of things gong on but you definitely have a calibration related problem. If calibration was done correctly then you may have a window motor, module or mechanical issue preventing smart glass from calibrating properly.Can you explain how calibration was done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MOVED WINDOW PART WAY DOWN THAN ALL THE WAY UP HOLD FOR 2 SEC. THAN ALL THE WAY DOWN HOLD FOR 2 SEC. PRESS AND RELEASE THE SWITCH TO THE EXPRESS UP POSITION. ALSO TRIED WINDOW DOWN RUN TOP DOWN AND BACK UP WINDOW STAYED HALF WAY DOWN NOT RESPONDING TO THE TOP GOING UP AND DOWN
The procedure has to be done with the top closed so it can find the full up position.Are you disconnecting the battery before attempting calibration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AM NOT DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY. I HAVE DONE BOTH WAYS WITH THE TOP ALL THE WAY UP AND UP AND DOWN JUST TO SEE IF THE WINDOWS WORKED WHEN TOP COMES UP. SHOULD I BE DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY ??
Yes, you have to denormalize the module by clearing it's memory with a scan tool or disconnecting the battery before calibration can be done again.Follow this to the letter and the procedure should work.Make sure the top is fully closed, windows closed.Disconnect the battery for about a minute, reconnect it.With the doors closed turn the key on.Starting with the driver's window, press and hold the switch fully down (past the express position). Continue to hold the button for the count of five after the glass stops.Immediately pull the switch to the full up position, again holding continuously and to the count of five after the glass stops. Do this procedure twice (up/down) and then do the same for the passenger window.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO I DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE STARTED OR JUST IGNITION ON.
It doesn't matter if the engine is running or key is just in the run position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I CAN NOT FULLY CLOSE THE DRIVERS WINDOW FROM THE OUTSIDE. IT WILL STILL BE 2 INCHES DOWN
From the outside? I'm not sure what you mean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALREADY PAID 25 THATS ENOUGH I AM ON A FIXED INCOME
You may be seeing something automated, I haven't sent a request for any other services or money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN I CLOSE THE WINDOWS GET OUT OF CAR THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW WILL COME DOWN 2 INCHES. I AM OUTSIDE I CANT MAKE IT GO BACK UP THE 2 INCHES.
Have you done the calibration as I described?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOT YET. WAITING TO SEE IF DRIVERS WINDOW BEING DOWN 2 INCHES MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The glass is dropping because it isn't calibrated correctly. The calibration I described needs to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK GOING TO DO IT NOW
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DID NOT WORK. DID IT JUST AS YOU SAID. BOTH WINDOWS STILL COME DOWN 2 OR 3 INCHES AFTER CLOSED
Do you have access to a scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO NOT. I GO TO AUTO ZONE BUT I DINT THINK THEY CAN RUN ANYTHING WITHOUT A SERVICE LIGHT ON
Autozone wouldn't have an actual scan tool with the capabilities necessary.When you raise the windows with the first, manual switch detent and the glass gets to the top, you let off the switch, the glass immediately drops 2-3"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THAT IS CORRECT
This started on both windows at exactly the same time?Does the door ajar warning stay on?Are there any other messages in the instrument cluster such as top in operation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES WHEN THE CAR DIED AND WOULD NOT START BOTH WINDOWS CAME DOWN 3 INCHES AND WOULD NOT WORK PROPERLY. NO DOOR AJAR. NO SERVICE LIGHTS AT ALL NOTHING
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE SMART WINDOW SWITCH SEEMS TO NOT WORK ON EITHER WINDOW. DOES THE SAME ONE CLICK OR TWO
If the problem happened with one window at a time then window motor issues would be possible, but they aren't going to both fail at the same time. It sounds as if the issue is in the power top control module and it's lowering the glass to a position where it would be with the top in operation. If a battery disconnect and calibration didn't help then it's going to require a scan tool to look at data to further diagnose the issue from here; you could try replacing the power top control module but without proper diagnostics I couldn't guarantee that would repair it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHERE IS THAT LOCATED
It's behind the left rear quarter trim panel. When you open the left door it's behind the trim panel you see at the left side of the rear seat. Replacing the module requires removing the quarter trim, once the panel is off then the module will be revealed, it's mounted to the sheet metal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANKS I GUESS I AM STILL ON A GUESSING GAME
The module is likely based on the symptoms and how the problem started, but without proper diagnostics any attempt at repair could be considered a guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HARD TO RATE YOU WHEN I GOT NO WHERE. STILL SAME PROBLEM. GOT NO ANSWERS
As I mentioned the power top control module is a likely cause for the problem, but it will take testing with a scan tool to diagnose the problem accurately. You can choose to replace the module if you want to try a repair on your own without having it diagnosed, or you could have a shop diagnose the issue which will usually run .5 to 1 hour of labor.