john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech ASE certified
6149662

Chrysler 300 C: I have a 2013 300c 5.7 that is pinging and

Customer Question

I have a 2013 300c 5.7 that is pinging and feels flat at times when accelerating. I have no check engine light. The MAP sensor was changed and it still pings.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.
what octane fuel are you running?
Max Trailer Weight 12,000 lbs. towing capacity Maximum GCWR 22,000 lbs. GCWRso 12,000 lbs is your answer
oops that was not 4 you what octane 87?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it pings with both 89 & 93 octane!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry 91
how are the plugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my initial statement I said the dealer did a tune up. New plugs all 16 of them less that 500 miles ago.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/116-0406-cylinder-leakdown-tester/
this web site keeps crossing posts not sure whats going on... does it ping only under load ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car has less than 50k miles on it and doesn't burn any oil. I think thats a bit extreme.
does it ping only under load?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and when at operating temperature.
has the dealer performed a carbon cleaning of the motor? how long has it been pinging?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run fuel injector cleaner thru it from time to time. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the car. I guess if it isn't showing them so kind of code they don't know what to do or where to look. I noticed the pinging just before i brought it to the dealer for the tune up. The tune up didn't fix anything. The strange thing is the car feels like it has more power when I run the AC. Thats why I changed the MAP sensor. I read that when the AC is running a signal is sent to the MAP to change some perimeter. So I thought is was worth a $25 try on a new MAP. Could the IAT sensor be the problem? This is very frustrating.
usually its egr,mas air flow or a knock sensor issue or dirty fuel injectors or a carbon issue... I think the iat is built into the mass air flow on this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car doesn't use a MAF. Chrysler uses mostly MAP sensors. I'll try more fuel injector cleaner. I tend to think it is a sensor because at times there is a loss of power at times so something is retarding the timing. If you think of anything specific or talk to anyone who has seen this issue let me know.
iat can cause pinging also...can you run a batch of non ethanol 93 and see if it helps....ethanol content is generally more then advertised at the pumps...and is terrible for fuel systems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll change the IAT next. 93 octane is hard to find in phoenix and without ethanol !!! I doubt it.
ahhh in ny its at every gas station,, that stinks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyway the car should adjust for differences in octane and not allow pre ignition.
it should I agree ..im thinking its more of a carbon issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today on my way to work while going up a SLIGHT incline ( I go this way everyday) the car would not accelerate. I was pushing the gas pedal down and there was NO linear acceleration. The car didn't start to accelerate until the transmission kicked down.
really wonder if its a fuel issue? have you checked fuel pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought of that. I just have to find a mechanic that actually practices the profession and doesn't just look for computer codes.
not many true techs left...