Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question
***** ***** JA: Thanks. Can you...
***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an 2006 Pt cruiser. A while back the airbag light turned on on the dash board. It stays on all of the time. Later on the horn stopped working. The first attempt at repair found that the original horn was physically broken. So I replaced it with a new horn. Still does not work when the the horn button is pushed....but the horn does come on when you turn on the high beam switch. That That's not too cool when you want to drive down a country road late at night with the horn blaring. Next I replace the multi-function switch (turn signal switch). Nothing changed. Next I found an electronic control module on e-bay, replaced that. no change concerning the horn and air bag. Finally, I just got done replacing the clock spring, guess what...still have all of the same issues. What else is left to be checked?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/16/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: bill, chrysler master tech replied 1 year ago
bill
bill, chrysler master tech
do you have the actual air bag fault code?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just used my Actron AutoScanner to check for codes. It said "no codes found" I guess there is some song and dance I have to go through to find an air bag fault code. What is it?
no song or dance you need a scanner that will read AIR BAG codes not a generic scanner that only reads ENGINE codes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like the only solution is to take it to a Chrysler dealer who would have that type of scanner. but what would that have to do with the high beam switch turning on the horn and the horn button not doing anything? One other symptom I forgot is that at one time when using the remote key fob to lock the doors, the horn would beep when locking the door. That stopped happening when the horn button stopped working. Now it locks the door, but no beep. The airbag indicator light had been on long before that. I'm more concerned about the horn issue.
maybe a bad clockspring which has the air bag and horn circuits in it but this is definitely a task needed to be addressed by a pro, not necessarily a dealer while we do have the correct tools and skills to repair the vehicle properly a larger independent shop with the proper scan tools and service info can do the job as well
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics