Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler 92 ? lebraon: I installed the top pump from a convertible

Customer Question
I installed the top pump...
I installed the top pump from a convertible lebaron in the bone yard, in my 58 chevy. the motor works by reversing the polarity on the two wires (yellow and red) to go up and down, but I'm not able to make the Lebaron original switch assembly work. the wiring diagrams don't make sense as to the relay assembly. perhaps you can set me straight as to whether or not the pump is reverse polarity. It does operate my impala top just fine
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
4/10/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there.The motor can turn in either direction fed by a five-prong switch and a double relay. I understand it's working OK by itself in your Chevy, I'd just like to remind you that it was designed to drive a hydraulic pump which was what actually did the heavy lifting.Please let me know if you need any help with the wiring.Best Regards.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what I need to know is how does this relay reverse the polarity to the motor? Why can't I make it work on the bench, can you draw me diagram of this switch and relay so I can make the pump run both ways?
It's a double relay supporting two circuits (meaning it's actually two relays in one casing). The switch works the same way an electric window switch would. Attached, please find the original diagram for a 1992 Le Baron convertible. Let me know if you have any questions.Best Regards.
I know this circuit can be a nightmare. Did you figure it out, or need more help?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I have the diagram but I do not see any way to ground the side that's not powered up.Explain to me how this circuit gets a ground from the non-powered side,. When red is positive, yellow should be negative and vise versa.I have no negative from this relay to complete the circuit. My relay is working as to power to red and yellow but I don't have a ground on the opposite side. What should I be looking for?
This is a double everything system, including double windings in the motor. You'll have to think like those crazy engineers at Chrysler and imagine there are two motors encased in the same housing; each winding is used to turn the motor in one direction. When Red is positive, Yellow should be open and viceversa. The motor uses its own ground circuit (shown in the diagram to be on the floor pan behind the rear seat.)Looking at this setup, I don't know how I managed to stay sane all those years I worked for Chrysler.... ;-)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried that set-up and nothing happens either way ,yellow hot or red hot with motor grounded.I'm pretty experienced in electrical wiring and I think there has to be a diode in this circuit somewhere to furnish a ground.When I look at the wiring diagram I don't understand the relay ,dotted line? It would make sense that the non-powered terminal would be grounded when not activated. Do you see what I'm getting at? I love a puzzle, but this is driving me crazy. Two days and a few other guys have given up trying to figure it out.
That diagram is stright from the Chrysler service manual. There is nothing missing from it, certainly not a diode.Was there a Black wire connected to the motor when you removed it from the Le Baron at the salvage yard? Well, that should be your ground. So, if you connect the Yellow wire from the motor to battery power and the Black to negative, then the motor should turn in one direction. Connecting the Red wire from the motor to battery positive and the Black to negative should make the motor turn in the opposite direction.Please let me know if that helps.Best Regards.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No on the black ground wire, only two, red and yellow in the harness with connector to plug into relay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the motor isn't grounded. and it only works when the red and yellow are used
OK, then I don't know what to tell you. All the ones I've seen and worked on were exactly as shown in the diagram I uploaded for you, grounded through a Black wire to the floor board - that Black wire was by itself, not part of the two wire connector. As it is, it doesn't look like we'll be making any progress on this issue, so I'll opt out so others may try. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle your question back to me.
Chrysler Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, the motor itself needs to be grounded. The other two wiresthen supply voltage to it's own winding to alternate direction. This circuit does not work like power windows do by switching power and grounding through the switch on the non powered wire. You could use the factory relay or toss it and run a relay for each direction off the factory switch. I've added some notes to the diagram and will post it below.
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician