Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Smoked the rear driver's side wheel. Brakes may have been a

Customer Question
little tight during removal. Wheel...
Smoked the rear driver's side wheel. Brakes may have been a little tight during removal. Wheel bearing doesn't spin freely and has a little noise. Can the bearing smoke with out warning? Any other possibilities other than caliper brakepads or wheel bearing? Steve
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Red oxidation on the rotor and leading/trailing edge of brake pads. Sounded like dripping metal when smoking.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Chrysler Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Not currently.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
4/2/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike V.v, Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician
Hi Steve,You have listed pretty much all that can happen there. If the wheel bearing is making noise then it's the place to start. If it lost the seal when it was rolling it could suddenly start smoking as the grease came out and hit the rotor. The red oxidation sounds somewhat normal as over time the rotor might get a rusted edge on it and then the pads don't touch it there to clean it off.I have seen the brake caliper lock up and cause the smoking but it really sounds like the bearing is bad either way. So you may want to replace the bearing, then install the caliper and hit the brakes a few times to make sure it's releasing and you can spin the wheel.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Mike V.v
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician