Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2007 Pacifica with 90,0000 ***** ***** with the

Customer Question
flickering dash lights, radio popping...
I have a 2007 Pacifica with 90,0000 ***** ***** with the flickering dash lights, radio popping and stalling engine problem that many people seem to have run into. What's up?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can't believe you haven't heard of this problem? No problems and then all of a sudden when driving the dashboard lights will start to flicker. If you have the radio on you will hear popping noises coming from the speakers the engine will then shut off especially if you start to slow down or come to a stop when this is happening.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
4/1/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have a charging issue. Overcharging will cause light flickering/dimming/brightening/pulsing, it can cause a pop through the speakers, but I really wouldn't expect the engine to die. There may be more than one problem going on, it's also possible that you could have a wiring issue or internal problem in the integrated power module.

Have the battery connections been checked to make sure they are clean and tight?

How old is the battery and do you know what brand it is?

Do any warning lights come on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The repair shop couldn't recreate the problem. Brought the vehicle home and the next day my daughter was driving the vehicle and was in a fast food drive-thru with the A/C on, the radio on and her foot on the break waiting in line. The car's radio and lights started to fade, and then the engine stalled, but then immediately restarted on its own. The only thing I did when I got it back from the repair shot was added a larger (4-gage) grounding cable from the battery. My wife was having trouble on occasion starting this vehicle and I read where a larger grounding cable seemed to fix this problem. So that's what I did. This is the only change I've made. Not sure, but I believe the car would have completely stalled and my daughter would have had to restart the engine had I not added this additional grounding cable (my guess anyway).

Do any warning lights come on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No warning lights come. No codes were retrievable, or thrown, per the repair shop.

How often does the problem happen; could you duplicate it for testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't had an opportunity to try and duplicate this on my own, but what prompted me to take it to the repair shop was it happened to my daughter twice in one day (indicating to me that the situation might have taken a turn for the worst). Prior to this my daughter and wife would report either the car not starting, or the dash lights and radio popping and the car stalling about once every three weeks to a month. But know that the car would start right up after stalling.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do.

Diagnosing the problem is going to require testing while it's acting up. If you want to try and diagnose it yourself the first thing you'll want to do is ground the black meter lead and use the red lead to check voltage on the alternator output stud as well as the positive battery post while the problem is happening.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician