sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Pfeister. 2005 Town and COuntry, has a P0032 code. Changed

Customer Question

Pfeister. 2005 Town and COuntry, has a P0032 code. Changed the O2 Sensor. Never went off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just that I changed the O2 Sensor twice because the first time I got the cheap sensor. Then I put on the sensor that the manufacturer recommended. We've had the code for quite some time. Cannot erase the code with a scanner either.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 1 year ago.

2005 had two different sensors. one had a blue wire and one does not. The build date will determine which one your van requires. More than likely you were sold the wrong part. The incorrect sensor will cause these issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The build date says 05-04
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there is a blue wore on the one I have in now

05-04 or 04-05? 05/04 would be a 2004 model year. Was there a blue wire on the sensor that came out of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says Date of MFD 5-04
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at the panel on the driver's door

If my memory serves correct the sensor with the blue wire is for the earlier builds so I think you're good to go there(I'm assuming there was a blue wire on the old sensor too?). Is the tenth digit of you vin number a 5 or a 4?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tenth digit is 5. I am not sure if the old one had a blue wire. I changed it a while ago and did not keep it.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'll opt out and open it up to the other mechanics here to see if they have any ideas!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great, thank you
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Possible causes for this code would be the sensor itself, wiring, and the powertrain control module The sensor itself is almost always the cause, but it's possible that installing an incorrect sensor has damaged the PCM.

What brand of sensor is in it now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember what brand. But I got it from the dealer

If you got it from the dealer then you should be able to rule out the sensor itself.

You did clear the code after the last sensor was installed and the code returned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my mechanic friend cleared the code yesterday. It came back right away

What is the physical location of the sensor that is being replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the top front of the cat converter

In the catalytic converter? That's the incorrect sensor. The sensor in the converter is the downstream, this code is for upstream. The sensor in question is threaded into the rear bank exhaust manifold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just took a look at it. I am pretty sure I changed out the one upstream. However, because I am not sure I will get a new one, switch it out and see if it works. Do I have to get it at the dealer, or will advance auto possibly have the right one?

An aftermarket sensor is going to cause continued issues because the heater resistance will be incorrect, and an incorrect sensor could damage the heater driver in the PCM. If your'e going to replace the sensor you'll want to use a Mopar sensor from a dealer.