Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Its like it has a bad selinoid or bad connections ive

Customer Question
changed the starter checked the...
its like it has a bad selinoid or bad connections ive changed the starter checked the fuses and relays and even changed the ignition switch dont know what else would cause it to do that will a bad crank sensor do that
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed the starter, ignition switch checked the battery relays and fuses
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: it acts like the engine is froze up but then after trying it for 10 min it will finally start and run fine its got me baffled
JA: Our top Chrysler Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chrysler Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chrysler Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
3/16/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Are you saying that the starter only works occasionally?

If so, now would be a good time to invest in an inexpensive multi-meter or at least a 12 volt test light and do some testing instead of replacing parts.

When you get or if you already have a multi-meter with voltmeter, or at least a 12 volt test light, let me know the year, model and engine, manual or auto trans so I can get the wiring diagram and tel you what to test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no im getting power to the starter for a split sec then i loose it thought for sure it was the contacts in the selinoid could a bad crank sensor be telling the computer not to turn over

No, a crank sensor is for the injectors or sometimes the ignition but not the starter.

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light?

If not, let me know when you do and also let me know the year, model and engine, manual or auto trans so I can get the wiring diagram and tell you what to test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i have both its an 06 dodge stratus auto tranny 2.4 l

Great. First of all, here is the wiring diagram.

Now, with your voltmeter or 12 volt test light, test for voltage at these spots. Remove the starter relay and check the spots in the socket for voltage. One spot should be hot all the time and an additional hot when the key is turned to start.

Let me know the results of those 2 tests.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok with my volt meter theres one slot with 12 volts key off with key on the same slot is the only one with juice and according to my meter only 11 volts

You are testing it wrong. Key off should be one hot, then with the key on start, there should be an additional hot.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ur right there is an additional socket with 11.8 volts when the key is held in the start position

Ok, put the relay back in and try if the starter works now. You are going to have to catch this thing in the act of not working.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
didnt work didnt make any difference

that was not a fix but a test

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok what next

Sorry, I was out.

Like I said before, you have to catch it in the act and be able to test it while it's acting up.

When you put the relay back in, did the starter crank when you turned the key to start?

If the answer is yes, you will have to wait until the key on start does not cause the starter to crank, then test it while it's not working.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics