Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2002 chrysler town country lxi PSD and PLG won't open

Customer Question
intermittently. When that happens...
2002 chrysler town country lxi PSD and PLG won't open intermittently. When that happens, the Power locks work. Dealer checked and no codes. I checked the sliding door wiring and normal resistance in all wires.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked sliding door wiring on both sides from pillar to door connector with ohmeter. Battery checks out normally with load testing and has normal voltage. When this occurs, none of the switches will open PSD or PLG but power locks will open and appropriate tail and turn lights will flash. It is if there is some inhibitor circuit that keeps PLG and PSD from working.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car is a California car if that matters. The problem occurs unpredictably and will often go away if I come back to the car 30 minutes later. Weather doesn't seem to matter. Cycling the key or starting the engine won't make a difference when the problem occurs. The PLG has recently been serviced before I bought the car and I believe has a new(possibly used) latch and motor.
3/16/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Chrysler has released a service bulletin dealing with a problem very similar to the one you are describing with the sliding door and lift gate. The bulletin call s for reprogramming the PSD/PLG modules. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below for your review as it may very well be the cause of the problem you are describing and is worth at least looking in to. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/SLide%20door%20Mar%2016.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was aware of that bulletin and had Chrysler check that. That bulletin requires the "incomplete hall effect" code which my Van did not have. I was told by the dealer that that was not my problem and that is was a wiring problem. They wanted me to OK 5 hours of diagnostic charge which I was not willing to do. There were no codes found on my van and they tested it when the PLG and PSDs were not working.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there some wiring or switch to check that would make the PLG and both PSDs all fail at the same time while preserving the power lock response as well as the tail light response? I know the usual suspect is the wiring in the sliding doors because of the repetitive movement but that checks out fine on my car.

If you think its a wiring problem then would it be helpful if I can provide you with the wiring diagrams?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the service manual but don't know where to start checking other than the sliding doors. There is not a troubleshooting portion that reflects my symptoms. Which circuit could impact both the doors and the liftgate as I have described and which wiring would you advise to check next?

Its is going to be hard to say but if its affect all the door as well as the left gate then it may be a power and or ground issue. Unfortunately this is going to require a complete inspection of the complete wiring harnesses if your sure its a wiring concern. The strange part is there are no fault codes, in most cases there will be some codes especially if its affecting all of them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To my thinking, there must be some inhibition signal that is stopping all the power features since the locks and the tail light indicators work appropriately but the liftgate and the doors won't open and there are no codes. What circuits and wiring harnesses could make the BCM do this? That might give me a place to start. Also, when you say "complete" inspection of the wiring harnesses, which harnesses are you referring to? So far, I have tested the sliding door wire harnesses and they are normal. And which power and ground wires do you want me to check?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should also note that the passenger sliding door opens manually with some resistance while the drivers side opens manually with no resistance. I suspect this is a separate issue but I thought I should include it.

There are various switches in the door systems. See the wiring diagrams in the links below Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20door%201%20Mar%2016.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20door%202%20Mar%2016.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Liftgate%20Mar%2016.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have all the schematics in my service manual and have reviewed them. If you had my car in the shop, what is the next step you would recommend in troubleshooting. Is there a specific circuit to check that would stop the PLG and PSDs but allow the PLs and tail lights to function? I would think the inhibitor circuits from each door would only affect that door.

What makes this very hard with out having a fault code is finding a starting point. It very unusual there are no fault code setting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That may be why Chrysler wanted 5 hours of diagnostics. At this point, we don't seem to be progressing. I think I would like to open this up to other experts hoping that someone has seen this before or has some suggestions on some further testing.

Sure thing, doing so now. Good luck with this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your efforts.
Chrysler Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, this is Ed.

Do me a favor and the next time it acts up, check to see if you're missing any or all of your normal ignition-on accessories. Loss of power windows, wipers, radio -- stuff like that -- might be caused by trace voltage in the T751 start circuit, the signal from the switch. The circuit splices and also goes to the Front Control Module, where it serves as just the sort of inhibitor you suspected. It's normal for accessories to be disabled when you're starting the engine, so if you notice that the problem is more widespread than you knew, we might need to look at that circuit.

Talk in a bit,

Ed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check all those things the next time it acts up. I have not had any other things act up that I have noticed. I have cycled the key and started and stopped the engine with no change when it acts up. Then I come back 30 minutes later and it all seems to work fine again.

Sounds good, just let me know when you get the chance.

Ed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The doors acted up again yesterday. I checked all other functions on the car and they worked. As usual, both sliders and the PLG would not open with any switch that I tried. With the remote switch, the turn signals would blink like usual, but the warning alarm for the PLG would not sound. I tried cycling the key, starting the motor, moving the car and manually cycling the doors and locks but nothing helped. After a short drive, normal function returned.
Another thing about this car is that the PLG motor and latch had been replaced before I bought the car. Also the rack and pinion was replaced. I'm wondering if some ground around these areas might have been disturbed.

I'd look closely at the wiring harness that's embedded in the "tank track" protective mechanism in the bottom of the door travel. While you might not see a problem in the loom -- sometimes it is obvious -- the act of rolling the harness over and over like that tends to break the wires from the inside out. Sometimes the circuit works... sometimes it doesn't. You might have lost less-obvious circuits already, like speakers and such. Any sign of broken wiring is of course a reason to replace the harness, but I'm fairly certain that the problem is with the door harness.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have visually taken apart and looked over both of these harnesses. I also tested each wire in the wiring harnesses for resistance while opening and closing the door. Both sides tested normal. And wouldn't a bad harness for a slider only affect that door rather than both doors and the PLG?
Dodgerench
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician