sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I just put in new ecu but my van still won't kick over due

Customer Question

I just put in new ecu but my van still won't kick over due to security alarm
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My ecu for 01 town and country was bad so I got another and put it in but when I go to start the little red security light on the dash won't let me
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well I'm am at a shop now and the guy thinks I need my key programmed to my ecu to start
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: But when I ordered the part it say plug and play with the required information
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Any PCM that is installed whether it be remanufactured or used will have to be programmed using a dealer or high end aftermarket scan tool. The PIN number will need to be obtained by a dealer and the PIN is used with the scan tool to transfer information from the SKIM module to the replacement PCM, and allow the engine to start and run. Until this is done then either the engine won't crank at all or it will start and die followed by locking the starter out.