Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just put in new ecu but my van still won't kick over due…

Customer Question
I just put in...

I just put in new ecu but my van still won't kick over due to security alarm

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

My ecu for 01 town and country was bad so I got another and put it in but when I go to start the little red security light on the dash won't let me

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Well I'm am at a shop now and the guy thinks I need my key programmed to my ecu to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?

But when I ordered the part it say plug and play with the required information

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/13/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Any PCM that is installed whether it be remanufactured or used will have to be programmed using a dealer or high end aftermarket scan tool. The PIN number will need to be obtained by a dealer and the PIN is used with the scan tool to transfer information from the SKIM module to the replacement PCM, and allow the engine to start and run. Until this is done then either the engine won't crank at all or it will start and die followed by locking the starter out.