Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

MY outside temperature says its -40 on my 2002 Chrysler T&C.

Customer Question
I replaced the ambient temperature...
MY outside temperature says its -40 on my 2002 Chrysler T&C. I replaced the ambient temperature sensor but it made no difference. Help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/8/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Mike,

A reading of -40 is a default, the module will display that when the sensor loop is open circuit.

If the sensor is not the cause, then the wiring is open one leg, or the module is faulty.

With the sensor disconnected, a short with a split pin or similar should display about 130 degrees.

If you try this with a short and it still displays -40, then the wiring needs to tested end to end.

With a short added, and somebody else watching the temp display, wriggle the wiring harness near the sensor back towards the rest of the harness, to see if the display changes at all.

Hope this helps.

Gary

OK. I shorted the connection. It did not change the -40 reading. I then wiggled the wiring harness while being shorted, the best I could with someone watching the reading. It still did not change. I put a VOM on the sensor connection. It read 39.8 ohms. The readings on the overhead display are all ok except for he temperature reading. The reason I want the temp to be accurate is because its causing the AC compressor not to come on. There are no codes stored in the computer. So is the module bad? If it was bad wouldn't the other readouts on the display be bad too? Where is the module? Is the module the overhead display? Mike

Hi Mike,

Now you will need a wiring diagram.

The outside air temp could well be preventing the A/C from operating.

In a way, I would like the fault to be the module (display).

Far easier than finding a broken wire.

I was hoping you would see a change after what you did so far.

Gary

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics