Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 90 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth ave. with a 3.3L I've…

Customer Question
I have a 90...

I have a 90 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth ave. with a 3.3L I've rebuilt the engine and I'm trying to replace the Auto shutdown relay but can't find it. It's not where the Haynes books says..

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler New Yorker. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

It had an over heat problem. I have the heads done then it lost oil on the back head. The problem was cam bearings so I decided to rebuild the engine. I had to replace everything but the pistons and rods! All sensors have been replaced as the computer. It cranks but will not start, I've lost spark. I've found no broken wires or bad connectors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I had it to, and your not going to believe this, to a dealer! 4 weeks and $846 later, they could not get it to run so yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Chrysler New Yorker?

Not right now, he can ask anything from here.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

It should be in the same relay box as the ac compressor relay and radiator fan relay -see attached

It's not

HI,

Ok, is there an empty cavity there for it? If so, it is possible it was removed and not replaced

HI,

If not, then please post the full vin number and I will pull it from that

There are no empty places or wires I can find: 1c3xy66r6ld854220

HI,

Hmm, pulling the location by the VIN number shows same location. I will opt out and see if another expert knows of an alternate location it would be at

OK, the Haynes book shows it above the engine computer but all that is there is the starter relay. I can't find it anywhere
don't know if replacing the ASD relay will make it fire up.
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Phone call session started
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

I see it in the power distribution block.

There is also something called a safety shutdown relay and it is located on the right fender panel. Neither of these 2 spots from what I can see is the same spot as the starter relay, cause that is on the left strut housing.

Here is the location on the 1989 Chrysler New Yorker 3.0L Eng Base

Find it yet?

No I have not found it and I have replaced the coil pack and computer this morning per the tech I talked to yesterday, still no fire. Now what?

Which tech. not me. I don't remember saying to replace the coil pack.

I don't remember his name, It was a phone call to me.

I just don't know what to check now. By all respects it should run

The PCM supplies battery voltage to the ignition coil through the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay. I know now why you were searching for it. So, do you have voltage to the coil pack with the key on run and start?

Then if yes, perform this no-start test checks the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor, under the 3.3L and 3.8L Engines

During cranking, the ASD relay will not energize until the PCM receives a crankshaft signal. Because of this I suspect a crank sensor circuit fault.

There is no voltage at the coil. Both the crank and cam sensors have been replace by a deal.

Well, if there is no voltage going to the coil, it's obvious a new coil isn't going to fix the problem.

Have you found the Auto shutdown relay yet?

If so, check it for voltage when the engine is cranking or just find the pin at the PCM that it is supposed to supply, while cranking.

Also, it might help to know any codes if the check engine light is remaining on past bulb check and if there is any security or anti-theft lights or messages on or flashing?

Plus the vin, to doublecheck this.