Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser std edition cigarette lighter…

Customer Question
My 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser...
My 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser std edition cigarette lighter stopped producing any voltage. All of the fuses in the cabin and under the hood test ok. Everything else works electrically. Where do I go to next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/4/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: George H., ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Do you have a voltmeter to check the circuit if I guide you?

I do
. Also the cabin dome light and rear trunk like work as well

Is the lighter the only outlet that does not work? Do the other two (if equipped) show 12 volts if you test them?

I only have one lighter outlet

OK, it is possible that the socket itself is damaged. If you can check for voltage at the connector to the socket to a good ground to see if it is making it that far?

Do you know how to reach the connector?

if you mean check it at the back side of the socket I think maybe I'll have to pull out the center console, which I'm not sure how to do. I assume the center point of the socket is the positive, I'll need to get a longer lead to try to test it to a different ground like the door frame if that's necessary

Yes, you need to get to the back of it. You want to check at both the shell and another ground to be sure the shell is grounded.

Click here for removal

See if you can get to the connector and check for 12 volts with the key in the accessory or run positions

Thanks

If you don't have 12 volts go back to the 20 amp #20 fuse in the underhood fuse block and ensure you have 12 volts at both testpoints on the back of the fuse. If you do then the poor connection is in the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

Let me know what you find, I need to run an errand so I will check to see what you find in about 30 minutes

Thanks

Ok, the fuse had blown again, but there is some kind of problem with the socket. I was able to get it going again, but I ran a tire inflater off of it and it blew the new fuse I installed which actually was 25amp instead of 20 amp. The inflater ran for a couple minutes before the fuse blew. I never had a problem with running the inflater before. Where might the problem be ?

The tire inflator certainly damaged the socket. You should be fused at 20 amps so maybe someone replaced the fuse with a higher value?

The wiring and the circuit in the socket will not support that much current so replacing the socket is what you need along with replacing any burnt connections you find.

I am glad it is not the ignition switch, that would cost quite a bit more.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

No, the socket isn't any more damaged than it was at the beginning. It may be worn though. I replaced the 20amp fuse with a 25 amp fuse because that's all I had left. It'll do for now. I can't figure out how to extract the cigarette lighter from the console. Twisting it doesn't seem to be the solution, but I haven't found the locking mechanism to release it.
thx

The socket may be electrically damaged. It has a fuse in the base if it draws too much current. If you measure 12 volts at the connector you need to replace the socket.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

If you need to remove the socket use this procedure >click<

Let me know how I can help

Thanks