Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 07 PT Cruiser has a slight gas smell when running the fan…

Customer Question
My 07 PT Cruiser has...
My 07 PT Cruiser has a slight gas smell when running the fan for the AC/heat. And when idling at stoplights sometimes. I tried replacing the gas cap and what I read suggests that is a problem with the seal on the gas tank, but that it can't be replaced without replacing the tank. What do you suggest I try first?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/4/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike V.v, Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician

HI there,

Is the check engine light on?

It says very low emissions leak, when I use my code reader

Ok

Here is what you really should do. Have the evap system smoke tested. This little leak is tiny, I mean you can get this code from a .5mm hole in the system. The smoke is added, then you can locate the source of the leak before replacing a bunch of stuff it doesn't need. This is the best method to diagnose it, then repair it.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

That's sounds awesome. My wife is taking her car in this week and we should be able to get it checked then too. And we'll let you know as soon as we can.
PS we are buying a house right now and just getting everything down that we can.

Congrats on the house!!

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thanks so very much!