Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I cannot keep a battery charged unless the vehicle is

Customer Question
I cannot keep a...

I cannot keep a battery charged unless the vehicle is cranked a/o driven every day. I have replaecd the battery several times, it is not the batteries or the alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

There is a spark in fuse box when reconnecting the terminals to the battery I think, my brother-in-law noticed last time we charged the battery and put it back in the car. I havent noticed any other issues, only battery drain within 24-48 hours if not cranked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

No, I just dont have the money to take to a dealer and let them waste time looking and charging me a ton of money while they are looking. Was hoping to have some idea of what to tell them when I do take it in.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK! The Chrysler Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?

No, not at the moment.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/4/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Chris, Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. Your van has a parasitic draw. In other words, one of the control modules is not shutting down when the ignition switch is turned off. That causes the battery to be drained. Ask an automotive electrical shop to connect their ammeter in series between the battery and the vehicle's electrical system and monitor the current draw . It needs to be under 40 milliamps. They can then start removing fuses and/or disconnecting modules until the draw is acceptable. That is how they can determine which module is causing the excessive draw. Then that module will need to be replaced.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly rate my service today? If you need further assistance, I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the van.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Thank you!

Chris