Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** I just a bought a 2004 Chrysler

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** I just a bought a 2004 Chrysler Sebring and the key is stuck in the ignition and won't come out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That's basically it when I tried to turn the car off & take the key out it won't come out

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/4/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with making sure the shifter is completely in park and if so there is one thing you need to try by doing a reset on all Modules. To do this , disconnect both battery cables and run them together for a few seconds . After doing so retry the ignition lock and see if the key will now release. Let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

Ok my friend and I just tried that and it still won't come out.

Are you able move the shifter back and forth to make sure its going all the way into park?

sir. I read this forum that had a couple different suggestions like to check the steering column we did everything but it still won't come out.

Okay then you are likely looking at a bad shift interlock cable. If its failed it will not allow the key to come out of the lock because the shifter is not complete in park. The cable is common to fail on your Sebring as well.

Ok so what should I do?

Usually if the cable is bad it will need to be replaced.