Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire with the ABS and BAS/ESP…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Chrysler...
I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire with the ABS and BAS/ESP dash lights on.I can not raise or lower the convertible roof as the spoiler is extended because of the
BAS/ESP light.I have been told that I need to replace the ABS control module and pump assembly
at a cost of $2250 for the part and labor. I have found a used module and pump assembly. Can It be installed on my car without having to program the module to my
car? Can I take the used ABS module off the used pump assembly and install on my
pump assembly without having to effect the hydraulic brake fluid system?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
3/2/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The VIN is automatically programmed along with configuration data when a new module is installed in a vehicle, and the original VIN and configuration data isn't something that can be altered in the field. Modules are not recommended to be swapped between vehicles and you'd likely have a VIN mismatch issue at the least if you tried to install a used module.

Any ABS module that is installed whether new or used is going to require initialization with a dealer scan tool for the system to operate.

The module can be replaced without disturbing any of the hydraulic components of the system.

What you are saying leaves me confused. First you said the module is automatically programmed then you said I would have
a VIN mismatch with a used module then you said that a new or used ABS module would require initialization with a dealer
scan tool. So does that mean that I could install a used module as long as I have the dealer initialize the module with their
scan tool?

The VIN is automatically programmed in a new module. If you installed a used module the original VINand coconfigurationccouldn't be altered. This isn't related to initialization.