Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 town and country van. Code po1698 the gear…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 town and country van. Code po1698 the gear selector is not lite up,mph gauge doesnt work and the tranny will not shift into high gear. Can you help me out with this issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Everything worked fine except the coolant fans were not coming on, ECU did fix that issue. I test drove the van for 12 miles everything worked perfect for the 12 miles. I parked the van for 5 hours that took it to the store and gear selector stopped working,no mph and it wouldnt shift. only codes is po500 and po1698

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Everything worked fine except thecoolant fans were not coming on, ECU did fix that issue. I test drove the van for 12 miles everything worked perfect for the 12 miles. I parked the van for 5 hours that took it to the store and gear selector stopped working,no mph and it wouldnt shift. only codes is po500 and po1698

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

P0500 means the PCM/ECU is not seeing a signal from the vehicle speed sensor and P1568 means the tranny commputer (TCM) can't be found on the CCD network (kind of not being online). The only common denominator these two codes could have would be connector/wiring. In other words, chances are there is a poor connection at one or more of the connectors that plug into the transmission. Unplug, then clean and spray WD-40 on each and everyone of them.

Let me know how you make out.

The other code is actually 1698 does that make a difference in your opinion?

Sorry, I described the right code, just typed the wrong number on my response. Go ahead and clean those plugs and make sure they're plugged in good'n'tight.

I will try that asap. The van gas gauge dinger dings all the time after its off Full. It only takes $7.00 to fill it back up and the dinger stops dinging for a couple days or until its off Full again. It does have a new Fuel Pump module in the tank.Do you think the pump module is already bad?

That's a whole different plate of beans, my friend. The Body Control Module (BCM) controls those circuits; you're going to need a dealer-level scan tool to diagnose that dinger.

No wires around the TCM or the transmission were dirty or loose. I did how ever play with the relay and fuse box under the hood, and that did turn on the gear selector indicator and shift into high gear. Weird thing is, nothing on the fuse box is label for the tranny. Any ideas on this?

Actually, the trans control relay is on that fuse box (PDC), so it could very well be a bad connection in the PDC causing all this mayhem. To pinpoint the bad connection, loosen up the PDC so you can get at the individual underside connectors and then wiggle each one to see it you can reproduce the condition. Depending on what you find, you might be able to tighten the terminals and reestablish a good connection.

Let me know what you find.

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician