Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

I want to disable my factory alarm, I just got a new alarm

Customer Question

I want to disable my factory alarm, I just got a new alarm system installed
JA: What model and year is your Chrysler?
Customer: 2002 chrysler pt cruiser
JA: Nice car. The Chrysler Mechanic can help you with your '02 PT Cruiser. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I had an off market alarm system installed on it, but every time i go to open the door the factory alarm sounds
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was wondering if there was a way that i could just get the factory alarmed disabled and if I could do it myself even better
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Chrysler Mechanic now?
Customer: sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Does yours have both the factory alarm and the factory immobilizer/anti theft system? If it does, you cannot disable the alarm without disabling the immobilizer system as well which puts the vehicle in a no start condition until it is reprogrammed with factory scan tool and software

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea. How would I find that out?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

When you turn the key to the on position, there should be a small round light that comes on directly between the fuel and temperature gages(see attached) and then goes off. If yours has this, it has the anti theft/immobilizer system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has that. So what do I do about turning the alarm off
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Because the anti theft/immoblizer and alarm are incorporated into one system, you cannot just turn it off, otherwise you disable the starting system as it will prevent the engine from starting.