Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The thermostat has been replaced and triple made sure it was…

Customer Question
the thermostat has been replaced...
the thermostat has been replaced and triple made sure it was on right! the only way I can keep the hot dial in the middle is to use the heater, but that can get hot inside the car there appears to be no water leaks could I have a clogged radiator or catalyittic convertor clog? im stumped. please give me some direction lost mechanic and don't know what to do thank you very much***@******.*** 2001 chrystler pt cruiser
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
2/22/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

When you replaced the thermostat did you bleed the cooling system on refill?

both I believe

The problem you are describing sounds like you may still dealing with trapped air and that can cause regular flow through the system. This engine can be a bit of a pin to refill and get all the air out. I would start first with rechecking to see if you got it bled properly and the system is full. I have enclosed the steps in the link below as well as the bleeder valve location. Recheck this first and let me know the results and we can work from there. Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fill%20and%20bleed%20Feb%2022.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Bleeder%20Feb%2022.pdf

dear ron sorry it took so long to get back with you, I checked and rechecked the bleed others have said it could be the idle control valve or throttle position sensor and what about the oxygen sensor all are more than i can afford how can a be certain? now my car bubbles after I turn off the car guess its not my day huh? I appreciate you time sincerely ***** ***** pt cruiser john

None of these parts will cause the engine to overheat, if you are sure you are not dealing with any trapped air and you still overheating and getting bubbles then the next steps would be to perform a block test to check and see if you have a blown head gasket.

Its sure pointing towards a head gasket.