sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have the same problem listed here, 97 sebring, no spark.

Customer Question

hello, I have the same problem listed here, 97 sebring, no spark. There is a separate coil now available for this car. I purchased one and installed it. I still have the same problem.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for lost spark, especially given the problem is the result of extensive work that was done. It could be an ASD circuit issue, incorrect cam timing, the powertrain control module, lack of crank signal or the distributor. Unfortunately with using aftermarket and used parts none of the parts replaced can be ruled out.

Has any actual testing been done?

How was the crank sensor adjusted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tested the pins at the distributor, I have power, ground, and ground at the auto shutdown plug. The crank sensor I have tried all the way in, all the way out, and halfway between. I currently do not have a scanner to check for crank signal, but I have a co-worker coming over with one in the next few days.

The crank sensor had to be spaced .025" from the crank. If it's in too far and touches the flexplate it will damage the sensor, if it's too far away then it won't produce a signal. Do you still have the old sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have it.

Let's start by putting the original sensor back in and using a small piece of cardboard attached to the end of the sensor with grease to space it.

Once the crank sensor is back in, do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have the original sensor installed and a test light in hand.

At one of the injectors does the dark green/orange wire have power while cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is power at the green/orange wire while cranking

With the alligator clip of the test light connected to battery positive, unplug the large distributor connector and probe the terminal for the black wire. Does it light up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does

If you leave the alligator clip on battery positive, backprobe on the black/gray wire with the distributor plugged in and crank the engine what does the test light do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light stays lit

There's no coil driver then, either because of a cam or crank signal issue or failed PCM.

Can you explain exactly how cam timing was set or upload a picture showing the marks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cam timing was set with the rocker arms off as to not damage my 24 new valves and was done so by following the instructions for timing belt replacement to the t

I'm trying to determine exactly how the belt was installed and where the marks where on the cam and crank sprockets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Left cam set on timing mark, belt ran under water pump and to right cam keeping belt tight, right cam set to timing mark, belt ran around idler pulley to crank. Crank set 4 teeth before tdc, after belt ran around crank pulley, crank rotated to tdc tensioning belt. Belt ran around tensioner pulley and pulley rotated to put final tension on belt. Engine rotated twice without rockers on to verify timing and then rockers wereally installed. Engine rotated twice again to verify timing. Performed compression test to verify valves were seating. After engine passed compression test, all other components put on and attempted to start engine and here we are.

You mentioned a scan tool possibly being available. Did that happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scan tool did not happen

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Backprobing on the tan/yellow wire in the distributor connector and turning the engine by hand from the crank damper bolt with the key on, what do you see on the meter?