Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Customer Question
that I replaced the heater...
My name is ***** *****. I have a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser that I replaced the heater core in about 2 weeks ago and I drove it to work no problem. I left work and went 1 mile and the transmission went in limp mode. The code Autozone gave me was P1768. I replaced the transmission solenoid pack but same problem. Today I removed and visually checked all wires from the TCM and cleaned all connections. Reassembled and drove for 3 miles before it went in limp mode again. Same code.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not much more to tell.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chrysler Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $16 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
2/20/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

do you still have the same code??? why did you replace the solenoid pack???

Roy

I found this for the code and no where does it state the solenoid pack, it sounds like a wiring harness issue. I will get one for you to view

Roy

P1768-RELAY OUTPUT ALWAYS OFF

When Monitored and Set Condition:
P1768-RELAY OUTPUT ALWAYS OFF

When Monitored: Continuously

Set Condition: This code is set when less than 3 volts are present at the transmission control relay output (pins 16,17 and 36) circuits at the Transmission Control Module (TCM) when the TCM is energizing the relay.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS CONDITIONS
FUSED B(+) CIRCUIT OPEN
GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY STUCK OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
TCM ERROR - P1768

the one thing is too is to check for any software updates. you can check on that by a phone call to a dealer service who can tell you that.

the relay in question is in the diagram. verify power at the fuse listed in the fuse block

Roy

how are you making out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got nowhere last week. Could the ignition switch cause this? I noticed the key can be removed while the engine is running but nothing else seems to be affected.

no, not the ignition switch. this is a wiring issue. you need to look at the diagram and check the wiring. harness issues are common around brackets and mounts as they tend to rub off the insulation and bre the wires internally causing short circuits.

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician