sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 300C with a front right dash rattle, been

Customer Question

I have a 2006 300C with a front right dash rattle, been there for several years. Off and on, but mostly on now. I thought it might be a speaker working loose. Any experience with this?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: We have pressed down on the speaker area on the right and it will calm. It seems like running over roughish road will start it and then it will continue for a long while.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Sure, but wouldn't mind having someone that knew what the issue was just fixing it for an hour's worth of time or so.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: The same think mentioned, stuff soft materials both above and under the dash area, but only because I don't know exactly where it is coming from, plus pretty hard to get where I think it is.
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, I saw your question here and I was wondering if you had the windshield or dash removed or replaced? Its pretty common that windshields will rattle more and more over long periods of time after replacement and when dashes are removed for repair some of the plastic anchors and clips break or don't make it back into place. if your heater core has been replaced, your dash most likely would have been removed. let me know if this helps at all.

Thank you so much,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, because none of the repairs mentioned have been done, so no help, anything else to offer.

Hi again, At this point, it sounds like where ever you placed the packing materials to calm the vibrations, that's where your problem will be. You may be able to remove the glove box and visually inspect for any broken or loose parts. if you push and pull on that side of the dash can you move it by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it sounds like you don't have experience with this particular problem. I was led to believe otherwise.
I have long removed the glovebox to search for the noise. No work has been done in this area of the car.

Hope you find out what is causing it . Good luck!

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Remove the trim panel at the defrost duct area, at the front of the instrument panel just under the windshield. On the right side locate the 8mm screw that holds the dash to the firewall, near the right front speaker area.

Reinstall the trim panel, take it for a ride and see if that helps. There was a TSB to remove this bolt for a rattle in that area.