Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Chrysler Concorde 6 cyl. 3.5 engine. When I…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Chrysler...
I have a 2000 Chrysler Concorde 6 cyl. 3.5 engine. When I drive it I hear what sounds like the tires are loud, but I know it's not the tires, but the noise is a revolution noise as the wheels turn. The front wheels are tight so I don't think it's a wheel bearing and it doesn't sound like a wheel bearing. Also, whenever I reach a speed of 15 mph the "Anti-lock break warning light and the light for the anti-tire spin comes on, sorry forgot what it's actually called, you can turn it on or off with the button, but it kicks off when I reach 15 mph and the anti-lock break warning comes on at exact same time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
2/11/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

That sounds like a wheel bearing to me- on these the wheel speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing assembly.

It will not always have play, even with the wheels off the ground- you have to go by listening to it. A wheel bearing will typically sound like it is coming from one side, and gets louder as you weight that side, lessening as you unweight it- so if the bad bearing is on the right side, and you turn right, it will go away, where if you turn left you put weight on the bad bearing and it will get louder. You can go down the highway and wiggle the steering back and forth to test for this.

Tried all of that, it just doesn't sound like a bad wheel bearing as I've had wheel bearings go out on vehicles before, it sounds like the front tires are singing, except louder and has increasingly gotten louder over the past 3 months.

I would have the ABS checked for faults and see what it says- that might pinpoint your issue (or it may be a separate issue, but getting it out of the picture may help) Looking into it, I wonder if the tone right on the CV joint may have broken loose? I had one just a few weeks ago on a vehicle, so it effectively made a ring of metal that spun around the axle when driving (and kept the speed sensor from working)