Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Town and Country. Driving around town and it randomly…

Customer Question
2003 Town and Country...

2003 Town and Country. Driving around town and it randomly dies. The RPM's fluctuate and they may stabilize, but the van will dies shortly thereafter. The only codes thrown are the crank shaft sensor and camshaft sensor. Both have been replaced. No codes thrown at all but problem persisted. Replaced ignition coil. Ran smoother, but problem still there. Not sure where else to look since there are no codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When the van is running and the RPMS flutter, the car will jerk as if the power is being sapped. I still have to look at the idle air control valve, fuel pump, fuel filter, and the wiring harness to MAP and fuel injectors. Also, have been told it could an EGR valve issue. Not sure what to do. The van sometimes starts up immediately after dying or it may take a few tries before turning on. It may drive for a few feet or a few miles before dying again.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
1/30/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

after the engine dies..does it start right back?

are you getting any codes at this time?

tell me all you can

Sometimes it starts right back up, other times it takes a few tries. It may go a few feet or a few miles before dying again. No codes are thrown.

does it only do this after the engine is hot?does it ever do it cold?

Mostly after it has been on for a few minutes, but the temp gauge may or may not reach the normal driving temp.,sometimes it happens before the temp actually starts climbing. Since it is winter, it is hard to say how warmed up the engine really is.

does all the gauges work in the instrument cluster?any trouble with the cluster?

does it ever run well?

Cost more?
Nope...hasn't run well for 2 months.

ok,,and before you did get codes for the crank sensor and cam sensor..correct?who installed the new sensors?

did you replace them?

did you have shop replace them?

The crank shaft sensor came up the first time....a mechanic friend replaced it. The second code came up a day later as the camshaft sensor..replaced that...since then....no codes, but we still have the problem. No engine light either.

ok

here are my thoughts..

sense you do not get any codes and from the way you explain,,the problem does sound as if you may have a bad crank sensor problem

you may want to try another one,you can in fact get a bad new one

also,you may want to remove the egr valve and clean it to make sure it is closing al the way.though i would think this wold give a code

I am at work but will get in touch later. Tjanks!

also a bad egr solenoid could do this

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Are you still available, Tim?

sorry,i was off line..

yes,i am here

Think I found the problem...corroded ground wire to the pcm.
Seems to be working fine.

that could do it for sure..

glad you got it

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic