Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Gh have a friend with a 97 caravan parked it at the store…

Customer Question
High John I'm Randy &...
High John I'm Randy & have a friend with a 97 caravan parked it at the store went in for 10 minutes and then only click when she turns key I arrived it initially started I shut it off and now same thing for me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
1/29/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad spot in the starter armature, and usuaaly occurs after a hot soak, do you have a test light or a volt meter? I can help you diagnose it,Tim

I'll have to look working out of a road bag
Okay yeah I have a mulimeter

ok, is it dead right now?

The battery cable has 12v but the small wire has 0 w/key in the on position

ok, now remove the starter relay, and check the socket, pin should have pwoer at all times and one should have power when cranking, do they?

Looking down at the fuse block the starter relay the Front pinion is hot at all times and the pin to the right is hot during cranking

ok, on the bottom of the relay, there are numbers stamped into the plastic, by each pin, they are numbered 30, 85, 86 nd 87, doyou see these numbers?

I also noticed brake lights are staying on and I removed the brake switch

ok, in the socket the relay plugs into, can you jumper the 30 and 87, and see if the starter turns over?

It does not I do have a slight spark

ok, then you have a bad starter, go back to the starter, and check the small wire for power, when cranking, make sure the relay is reinstalled,Tim

are you still here?

Took me a few, trying to get this done with just myself is a well anyway I went ahead and removed the starter did bench test and you were 100% correct. Thank you sir, have a great day weekend

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so i can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Please do not forget to rate e, it is the only way i get paid for helping,Thanks,Tim