Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a PT cruiser ( 2002 none turbo ) with only 11,000…

Customer Question
I have a PT...

I have a PT cruiser ( 2002 none turbo ) with only 11,000 ***** ***** and the malfunction light just a couple of days ago came on and will not go off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Motor sounds good and runs smooth. I checked on the gas cap and made sure it was secured.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

First, we need to find out what code is stored and I believe you can retrieve it (or them) by using a code-read feature built into the car. When finished, codes should be displayed in the odometer window of the instrument cluster.

Hop in the car and insert your ignition key to the ignition.

Roll the key from off to on three times, leaving the key ON after the last cycle.

Don't crank the engine -- just cycle ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and stop.

Watch for code display, followed by "P-done" (or simply "done") in the instrument cluster.

Write all codes down verbatim and shoot 'em back to me and we'll sort it out.

If the code-read feature won't run for you, it will be necessary to make a date with a scan tool, which may be done at many major parts retailers like Autozone. Most stores will scan your car for free.

Check it out and we'll talk again in a bit.

Ed