Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We just got a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser a week ago. We bought…

Customer Question
Hi ***** *****, I'm...

Hi ***** *****, I'm Natalie :) We just got a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser a week ago. We bought it used, but had an independent mechanic check it out and he said it was good...it only came with 1 key and 1 key fob, so yesterday we went to get an extra key made...I started it with the extra key, and seeing it worked, I turned it off, but this morning, it wouldn't work with the original key any more. I mean, the original key started, but the engine wouldn't catch

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well, the interior lights all came on, as well as the radio was fine...the starter seemed to be engaging, but the engine wouldn't catch

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
The extra key we had made was just from a regular key shop, not Chrysler.
1/21/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello Natalie, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me if there are any warning lights illuminated on the dash when you are cranking the engine over?

Hi Bobby; yes, first everything seemed normal...interior lights, radio, etc. were all working fine...then a few hours later, the battery light was flashing and now (a few hours after that) the car won't turn on at all.

Do the dash lights come on when you turn the key on?

No, nothing comes on now. Although, they did come on at first.

Thank you. It sounds like it may be the battery or battery cable. It can also be an ignition switch. Did you plan on trying to fix this yourself? Do you have a voltage meter?

Well, I had just planned on trying to jump it myself (we have 2 cars) and drive it to a mechanic (if it'll work). So you don't think it had anything to do with the security key?
Or, if it did, would the battery dying reset the security lock out from the unauthorized key?

No, if the battery died it wouldn't lose that part of the memory. From what you are explaining I do not suspect a key problem.