Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

Can a318 V8 2bbl carb be converted back to a points dist? Is

Customer Question

Can a*****318 V8 2bbl carb be converted back to a points dist? Is it a hassle or fairly easy to wire up? What about TBI?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like you have the 'lean burn' carb setup. This was an attempt to make the cars less smoggy. The idea was solid, but did not work in practice (and the computer on the air cleaner did not help any, either). Adding TBI to this car can be really difficult, as you need a host of replacement parts, one of which is a engine room wire harness, and then a TBI computer. This is NOT an easy task, nor is it inexpensive. Regarding the distributor, a points distributor can be grafted inj, but that would be a really bad idea on this particular engine, as the spark will be of lesser quality than an electronic ignition unit. I would not want to do this. Sadly, unless you can find a decent lean burn carb, or a quality reconditioned unit, you are pretty much stuck unless you want to spend a lot of money.