Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

2.5 2004 to chrysler voyager my temp gaze is not moving upto

Customer Question

Hi Tom 2.5 2004 to chrysler voyager my temp gaze is not moving upto middle just stays on 2nd line even when I have been driving for a long time, also the heater does not get hot just warm also white smoke comes out in the morning when I start and it smells of diesel oil is fine water in the tank shows fine
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The problem you are describing is most likely caused by a failing thermostat or the system is low on coolant which is likely if you are blowing white smoke. White smoke in most cases means coolant is entering the combustion chamber . I would start first with having a block test performed to make sure the head gasket is not leaking. Low coolant can affect the heater performance as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had to top up the coolant every 3 months, the oil does look fine, is there any way of testing the thermostat?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The best way to test it is to replace it with a known good thermostat. That being said you really do need to check the head gaskets if you are blowing white smoke. If the coolant is low it will affect the heater and the gauge as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am only loosing a little coolant every 3 to 4 months could it still be gasket,there is no colour change in oil at all,
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes if you have white smoke on start up its very likely. If your only adding a little coolant right now then its likely just seeping and not a full blown leak. If the cooling system is full and you still have a low reading gauge and low heat then I would start with replacing the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's full at the moment but temp not going up at all heater only comes warm I will change thermostat this week and let you know,
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay thats where I would start, just make sure when doing so to fully fill the cooling system.