Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

89 Tc,no per at coil or fuel pump .jump to coil pos side and

Customer Question
fuel pump runs...
89 Tc,no per at coil or fuel pump .jump to coil pos side and fuel pump runs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chrysler
No power at coil or pump.pump works when jumped at coil.coil cold.unknown if coil got power when jumped,no spark while cranking .check engine light and low pill light on while cranking.oil level is perfect.engine cut off while going 10-15 mph .timing belt is on and was replaced 400 miles ago
1/9/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

It's most likely a bad "auto shutdown relay". Have you replaced it yet?

Here is the wiring diagram,

Did you order a relay?

hi,did all that befor trying ask me....not the ASD relay.wiyh new relay,.....same.....no power to fuel pump ,efi,or coil.............when i jump coil,,,,12 volts,pumpe comes on.check engine,and low oil comes on while cranking.weve had 12 years ,no problem like this,always serviced,timing belt has 400 miles and totally intact.alsi checked all fusible links next to left shock towe,akk show current before and after joints where soldered together.there is no spark,either while cranking!i can send some pics of fusible areas............frustrating.dont want to leave car at dealer...........
i wonder if coils little round surpressor is grounding out the coil?or,is there something in distributor that can ground out ,or cause relay asd to not perform,even when new????

remove the auto shut down relay and test the prongs in the socket and let me know if there is voltage there to one prong with the key off..

red wire has voltage when off

Ok, feel if that relay clicks when you turn the key to run.

green/black wire lights up only when i take connection to hot side battery,no power to green/black with key on RUN position,

Does the relay click?

I think it's either going to end up being the ecm, power to it , a ground or the wiring between it at that relay.

when i put power to green black i hear a small click tear the turbo area on top..cant reach the both run....ill try this again.......gonna take me 10 minutes to come back to pc......................

It appears to be the dark blue/white wire that feeds power to that relay.

ok,ecm is in distributtor ?electronic control module?

Yeah, first I need to know if the relay is clicking. I assume it's not but just need to be sure.

If not check for voltage at both ends of that dark blue/white wire when the key is turned to run.

No, that is the ignition control module, the ecm (engine control module) is the computer.

the ecm might be right next to the battery.

where is dk blue/white wire..........the relay has #14 green blk,red,,and 2 #16 wires one is light ble and white.....let me know where the dk blue is and if its a #14 or bigger?
ok,going to check it out,car is 500 feet from house ,so ill be back,as Arnold says.....................going to recheck "click" and ecm by battery

The wires at the relay are dark blue/white not light blue/white.

Why don't you jump 12 volts to that dark green/black wire for now and drive the vehicle to where you are so you don't have to walk back and forth.

theres no parking here,but relay does click ign position"run"
the green black over rides the whole ecm relay system ,just like its 1969 again?

That is good, then you must have a bad dark green/black connection or wire.

where does green black go to??so if relay clicks,then ecm is good,can i stilloverride cars system by jumping green /black wire?

Not for now, cause there appears to be a problem with the dark green/black wire. I know you jumped that wire at the coil and something worked, so disconnect that gray wire at the coil, the dark green/black wire at the auto shut down relay and using an ohmmeter see if that wire is open.

when i put test light from pos batt to green wire,i can hear clicking by the turebo area near injectors,does this mean anything?old asd relay
y does not click..........should i pug in again to check spark.Could ecm still be bad anyway?
hi ,when in Run position there is power to the relay wires,both blu white #16 wires have power,yes,gree has no pwereven when relay plugged in ...go figure.......i'll look again.

No, don't plug in the old asd relay.

Yes, you have to test for power to that dark green/black wire when the key is on run.

ok,i'll check that one out,........so,...if there is power to gree/black when on run,but it doesn't start,then what?,................back 15 mins

I don't think there is going to be.

just fyi,when i jumped the pos + coil ,yesterday,again,fuel pimp came on,coil remained cold,not even a little warm ,and car still cranked............no start.that was with new asd relay connected too!

I suspect you had no voltage at the fuel injectors too then. They are all spliced together, the coil, the fuel pump and the fuel injectors and they all get their voltage from that asd relay, so you see if either one or all of them don't get voltage then it won't start.

So, if you jump voltage to either one, check for voltage to the other 2 and whichever don't have voltage will tell you where the brake in that wire is.

Although technically speaking you should just test for voltage at that dark green/black wire at that asd relay when the key is on run and after you confirm there is voltage there, confirm at those other 3 spots, the coil, the fuel pump or listen if it runs and the fuel injectors, while the key is on run.

ok,i'll see.................could be a while....appreciate the help....

Any news?

Did you give up for today?

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Do you still need help on this or did you decide to close out this post?

still need help,and i'll text you when i can do it ,hopefully mon late or tues early,thabnks

ok

Hi,coil is good,green/blk wire seems connected.Where does#12 black wire from battery neg side go?pcm ground? I noticed that my2 relays next to the as d are metal casings......and bolts is way loose.??

What do you mean the green/black wire seems to be connected? Don't you have a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light? I thought you were already using a voltmeter or test light!

Tighten them bolts. If you don't have voltage at the dark green/black wire when testing, there is no sense in testing or worrying about grounds, unless you don't have a good ground on the voltmeter/test light. To make sure, ground the tester to the battery negative post, or if you choose to ground it to metal, test the ground by touching the positive battery post with the positive test lead to make sure, before you test anything else.

the injection are gets power and coil too,so looks like grounding possible,the negative battery connection is wiggly and altered,2 relays are loose,bolt had silicone on it #12 negative post auxiliary grnd blk wire has crappy aluminum wiggly connection
After that,maybe look into distributor pick up?....I'll get back to you.I have regular work so can't spend all time fussing with this car....Thx

ok

The fuel pump is most likely grounded back there near the fuel tank, so if you power up that dark green/black wire and the fuel pump still don't run, that would tell me that depending on what that fuel pump grounds to, either the frame or the body, I would say back near the battery, the negative battery post to the body and/or frame s where that problem is and most likely it will have an affect on other grounds. So, let me know if that fuel pump runs or not when that dark green/black wire does have voltage.

Figure it out yet?

Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Going to look again Saturday.I think it's distributor pick up. .pump works power to injectors,no spark.

How did you finally get power to the fuel pump?

After all this time, you are just going to leave me hangin?

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician