Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

99 chrysler town and country lxi cranks but no start getting

Customer Question
fuel at rail and changed...
99 chrysler town and country lxi cranks but no start getting fuel at rail and changed cam and crank sensor 3.8 l
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2016
Chrysler Mechanic: Amedee, Chrysler Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine have spark when cranking? Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only tested front spark on one plug but yes in the one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I havnt tested dtc im 30 miles away from van

You might just have a bad fuel pump. Does it run on starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oil smells like gas little too
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No start with starting fluid and you hear pump when key is switched on and relay clicks too

Ok, then your going to want to check engine compression. The camshaft may have broke.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But it sounds like it cranks fine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would cause that to happen if it is the cam

Well something is clearly not right because the engine does not start. Your either missing spark, fuelor compression.. or the timing can be off. ignition timing or valve timing. The only other possibility would be if the engine is flooded. IF you have not checked fuel pressure or checked engine compression, then how do plan on diagnosing this condition? You need to check the basics.

a bad design and, low or dirty engine coil can cause the camshaft to break.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuel pressure was at lik 47 psi

I think that might be a bit low, but the engine should still start and run on 47 psi

So that tells us it is something else. Missing spark or compression.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to do compression test next then i guess

I would agree. At least the front three. You may need to do the back three.

If you find low compression on some cylinders, you may want to remove the valve cover and then have someone crank the engine over.

If the valve are moving towards the front of the engine but not at the back half, the camshaft broke.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to test coil pack with test light to see if its getting power for spark

If you upload a video for me so I can hear it that would be great. YES, but it is not easy. You need to verify if in fact you are missing spark first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if i put a in line spark checker in spark plug do i need to check all 6 or can i just do 1 the problem i have is the back 3 are hard to get to

Right, I understand. I am familiar with this engine. Lets start by checking the front three cylinders (easy ones) first for spark while cranking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I pulled one plug and crancked engine and got spark on one plug when i did it befor

Ok, lets check the others in front.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im not by car but the front had spark im sure of
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can coil not be givvin enough spark

Sure its possible but I doubt it is a bad coil. You can certainly try one but my experience has been that it is going to be something else. So our testing has now lead us to this. The engine has spark and fuel pressure. We also know it does not run on starting fluid so that rules out in injector pulse and bad gas. This would mean the engine has spark at the wrong time.. due to a bad flex plate or base engine mechanical problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is engine scrap
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or can be fixed

It depends on whats wrong. Anything can be fixed. Its just a matter of how much money you want to put into it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But you dont think its just a sensor or pcm or antitheft keeping it from starting

Based on what your telling me, No. The cam and crank sensor have been replaced. If the engine has spark, it is up and "awake" and functioning correctly. This means there is no bad sensors.

The anti theft would cause a start and stalling and then a no crank condition. This is not what you have

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to test this i need a compression test if no pressure in cyl then bad motor if pressor ?

If there is low compression, then yes, it may be more costley to simply replace the engine rather than fixing it. But again, it all depends on what is broke. If there is pressure, then we need to keep looking for the problem. But if all three cylinders in front have good compression, then we need to run a compression on the back three cylinders.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i guess i will have to run compression test on all cyl

Correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is compression supposed to be

Well over 100 psi. Closer to 150 psi

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do you get to back plugs to test any pointers

Very carefully. :)

You should be able to get them from the top rather than from underneath. The front cowel below the windsheild may be able to be removed for more room.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ill try compression next time im at van

Sounds good let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will be a cupple days how can i get back in tuch with results

Just reply back to me on this page and I will get it. Please allow time in between replies as I do work full time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

You bet

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello amedee

Hi! What have we found?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cyl 2 no comp and cyl 4 50 psi

Ok, then the camshaft broke or the timing chain broke.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How hard to replace and whats cost efficient

The best thing to do is replace the engine at this point.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics