sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2004 Pacifica- turned off and tried to restart but showed it

Customer Question

2004 Pacifica- turned off and tried to restart but showed it wasn't it park. Now all positions on dash lit up( P, R, N, D) and says autostick. Won't even turn over with key in and steering wheel not locked. If I apply brake can shift it even though it's not running. Is there something I can do to at least get it started to take it to mechanic if not fix it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that you could have going on but the first thing I would suspect is a lost engine/trans ground. I've seen issues with corrosion at the ground cable's eyelet crimp and I've even seen the eyelets pull off the cables. If the transmission range sensor can't ground through the case then it can't report what gear you're in.

If you have jumper cables I would recommend running a cable from the negative battery terminal to a clean, unpainted metal part on the engine or trans and see if it cranks. If so then you've lost engine ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not work. Any other ideas?

Do you have a scan tool?

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned to the run position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have one and i am not sure about fuel pump. Wife just told me it has don't this before then works ad sometimes gets stuck in gear. Could it simply be the gear shift is bad?

Do you not actually feel the shifter engaging in each gear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be

It's not a shifter issue then.

Are you able to see if the fuel pump runs?