Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2002 PT Cruiser engine making gurgling sounds while mechanic

Customer Question

2002 PT Cruiser engine making gurgling sounds for a while mechanic says lwaking heater coil. Now having intermittent starting problems (the WCM?). Do these sound correct and are they related?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

The heater core yes but what is a WCM and what are the symptoms when it has starting problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WCM is apparently "wireless control module" -- this bulletin comes close to describing the problem that I'm having. http://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-tip-chrysler-s-engine-experiences-no-crank-no-start-condition-due-to-electronic-lockup-of-wcm-skreem/The starting problems are that the engine cranks (or clicks) but does not start. This doesn't appear to be a battery problem since the first time it did this the car had been running five minutes earlier and all the other electrical systems (lights, radio, door locks, etc. are functioning). AAA was able to start it (with some difficulty), and I drove it a few more times (including to the mechanic where they diagnosed the heater coil issue), but now it is dead in the driveway. I'm concerned because the heater coil repair is quite expensive, and I don't want to have to incur the costs of opening the car up twice.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. Yes, the SKIS (Sentry Key Immobilizer System) is what they used in 2002 before the SKREEM. Not as common for them to 'lock up' and a reboot, (disconnecting the battery) would normally get them running again.

.

Best way to check it is while it's not starting. See what sort of voltage is at the starter relay, (with key off and in start mode) to have an idea if the PCM knows it is in Park, (or the clutch is in on a manual trans).

.

Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the test instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks