Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

CHRYSLER PT CRUISER...2003...4 LITER...65,664 MILES.. GAS

Customer Question

CHRYSLER PT CRUISER...2003...4 LITER...65,664 MILES..
GAS GAUGE WAS READING FULL, THEN WENT TO COMPLETE EMPTY; JUST BOUGHT FROM USED DEALERSHIP 2 HOURS AGO....DRIVING IT HOME...90 MILES AWAY. WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS FILLED UP....BUT THEN THE GAUGE SHOWED EMPTY AFTER DRIVING FOR ABOUT AN HOUR....RAN OUT OF GAS, i'M THINKING....PUT GAS IN IT...AND IT RAN WELL ALL THE WAY HOME (ANOTHER 35 MINUTES)...GAUGE STILL ON EMPTY...AFTER I PUT ABOUT 3 GALS OF GAS IN IT.
ENGINE LIGHT AND GAS TANK INDICATOR LIGHT IS ON.....ENGINE LIGHT WAS NOT ON BEFORE IT STOPPED...ONLY THE GAS TANK INDICATOR. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WHILE IT WAS RUNNING....
WILL MY DIGITAL DIAGNOSTIC TOOL TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG?...TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK THE PROBLEM IS, AND HOW I MIGHT VERIFY IT.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

It sounds like you have a bad fuel tank sending unit, but to verify this you will need to see what codes are setting and then drop the tank and ohm the sending unit.. The sending unit is mounted on the side of the fuel pump module which means you will need to drop the fuel tank to replace it..

I hope this helps,

Brad