Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

1996 Chrysler Town & Country van: Key is stuck in ignition.

Customer Question

1996 Chrysler Town & Country van: Key is stuck in ignition. Dash lights are on, steering wheel is locked. Key won't turn in either direction: can't turn dash off and remove key, can't start car.
(1) Problem is likely related to wear on key. True?
(2) Assuming we can get the key to move today, the problem will likely recur. What is the best/cheapest approach to solve problem long term?
(3) If new key, who is best/cheapest provider? locksmith? independent mechanic? probably not the dealer...
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

If the key is stuck and will not turn then I would remove the ignition switch and see if it will turn, and if yes then you have a bad ignition switch.. If it will not turn I would suspect a bad key cylinder... You can try tapping on the key and see if it will move, you will need a small hammer to tap the key like it's a nail which should loosen the key tumblers so you can turn it...

I hope this helps,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more assistance?

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad